Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Looking for Simplicity tractor, RI

DGBork

I have three (3) Broadmoors - one 728 and two 738s, and a Yeoman 627. All are from the late sixties/ early seventies. The Broadmoor is a great tractor. Specifically, I've used it for snow removal applications [this year] with the snowthrower attachment, and hauling jobs pulling a small cart. I plan to refurbish a mower deck and use it for cutting the lawn this summer. Overall I've had great results with the machine. I would recommend, however, that whatever tractor you end up with, you get as many of the implements that you can - either from the seller or other source. I found that attachements are not easily found for these older machines. The usefulness of a tractor with no attachments is questionable [for me]. Even if the attachements are either not complete, or broken - take them - they can usually be repaired and parts are seemingly readily available [or can be easily fabricated]. The cross reference on this site is useful for determining interchangable compatibilities across the different platforms. Regards, Tom K

Hi All- I am looking for a Simplicity garden tractor. I have never owned one, but remember my Grandfather had one that he thought was great. Anyway, I need one mainly for mowing (about 1 acre) and for light farm/garden use (tilling, snow blower or snow plow). A friend told me of a 1966 (or so) Broadmoor 707 with mower and plow for about $500. Do you think this machine will be suitable for my use?? Thanks for any advice or any leads on tractors available near RI. Dave B Saunderstown, RI

Dave, I've found that if you keep an eye on The Want Ad (local classifieds published weekly on Wednesdays for $1.90), you can come across some good deals. The magazine can be purchased at gas stations, quick marts, drug stores, etc... You can also view the most current listing (without phone numbers) at www.thewantad.com. I believe that the publication serves RI, CT, MA, and NH. I took a quick look at my newest copy and found a 1967 Simplicity 707 Broadmoor (gd shape, new Briggs short block, manuals, 42" snowplow, wheel weight, chains, and 36" lawn mower) in Charlton, MA (yes, its not RI but its close) for $575 or bo (508-248-6932). Lots of general L&G tractor implements that could be modified to fit this week as well ... plow $75, spike tooth harrow $75, etc... Mike[A href='www.thewantad.com']www.thewantad.com[/a]

Mike gave you a good source -- that's where I found mine. Also, keep you eye on Bargain News, the Connecticut online want ads. Search in the category Tools >> Yard Tools. IMO, it usually has more -- for example: Simplicity, 11hp, 36" deck, elec start, double rear bagger, sat for last 2 yrs, needs some work, $400 OBO. (860) 274-7265 10am-6pm . Watertown Simplicity model #7114, hydrostat 14hp engine with hydrostatic transmission, includes 42" 3 blade mower attachment as well as a 42" snow plow with angle handle, this machine looks & runs very good, $1300 firm. (203) 268-0739 after 6pm (4X) . Trumbull Deutz Allis Simplicity, 1994, 14hp, hydrostatic, 48" cutting deck, front rear PTO, with plow chains, wheel weights, mint condition, $1500 OBO. (203) 494-9700. New Haven [A href='http://www.bargainnews.com/']http://www.bargainnews.com/[/a]