Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler OHC/OHV Engines

lboy1971

Bill, I am also unhappy with the amount of junk that gets sucked into the air filter on my new Sovereign. If you find a simple, effective way to prevent it from happening I would be interested in knowing. I'll look at the hole you are talking about to see if you're onto something. I think Simplicity and/or Kohler should do something to correct the problem. Particluarily since reading about the OHC engine's propensity to clog the cooling fins. Roy

For Kohler OHC or OHV engine owners interested in checking/ acessing and keeping the cylinder cooling fins clean, Kohler offers a blower housing cleanout kit. The engine must be removed from the tractor to remove the blower housing in order to install. They work great and I highly recommend them. As a Sovereign owner, I am unhappy with the amount of grass that passes through the blower housing and ends up at the air cleaner. A possible solution is to block off the frame hole aft of the engine just above the mower deck. Does anyone have comments on this idea?

Hi, The engine manufacturers face some real problems dealing with the variaty of applications their products are adapted to. With the advent of completely enclosed engines and the cooling problems that accompany this. One of the soulutions is the use of the flywheel fan to provide cool air to the carb. The changes in fuel formulation the last few years have created problems associated with vapor lock that never existed before. As we are preparing to temp test our CH 25 John Deere 400 re-power, some of the temp tests we have to monitor in a 110 degree environment under full load [throttle plate wide open]for one hour include cylinder head bolt temperature, spark plug base temperature, cooling air temperature at the flywheel, fuel inlet temperature, air intake temperature at the carb, and oil temperature. If we are able to remain under the allowable specs, we can safely sell these kits with fear of engine failures due to design problems. 15 minutes after the test we then need to pass a hot restart test, for vapor lock problems. Due to the vapor lock problems that have plagued this industry for several years, one of the solutions is to bring cool air from the cooling fan to the air cleaner. This air may be 20 to 30 or more degrees cooler than the air under the hood, and may greatly reduce vapor lock. In the Sovereigns, this is not a problem, because the hood is open, but put this same engine in a Cub Cadet or any tractor like that with the enclosed hood and you have a great opportunity for heat re circualtion problems, the cooling fan sucking the hot air from the muffler and the cooling air off the cylinders back around the engine and trying to cool with heated air and you have big problems. This is why all of the baffeling is done in these new tractors. Baffleing is what we are doing on the 400 now. One of the draw backs of bring ing the air in this way is that that in a mower application, the air cleaner receives some grass that other wise it would not, but everything in life is a trade off, so we win some and lose others. Blocking off the flywheel passage and putting a pipe from the air cleaner to the outside world would address the problem, but in many applications would not be pretty and you might have to join the plumbers union. Good luck, Al