Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Engine swap.

I've been told that on a broadmoor 738 a 10 11 and 12 hp briggs engine will bolt rite up to itwith no problem consedering the shaft is the same size,. Is this true? will the hood still close ? Lou/

Sandy_Lake_Imp
I would think that to be true but also make note of where the exhaust outlet is if the replacement engine is one of the newer styles.I would not expect any problems. Bill

Al
Hi, I believe it will bolt in, the only problem will be that the cylinder head and spark plug will be ahead of your grill. I believe that is why Simplicity built the 3008 and the 5008 and 5010 was that the longer frame let the tractor use both the 8 and 10 hp engines and have the hood and grill work. Good luck , Al

johnsup
Al, How come when I installed an 11hp briggs into my T-8 Homelite, I had no clearance or exhaust problems?Everything fit fine, the one thing I had trouble with was with the cast iron pulley.I tried everything to get it off the old engine and it broke, so I bought a new one. John

JordB110
Thanks Guys, Well, I droped an 11hp in today,. The pullys came off easy with a puller,Went on new engine no problem, ther are two seaperate pullys on thet shaft.One the drive, and one the mower. That Big mill bolted right to her. Now, Iam getting excited. Oh , ok this was going to easy. The altenator wire is different, tWO Wires from my tractor and one wire from, the motor. I hooked the red only to the engine eirs. All ready to start, gas was driping out of the carb,ok, guess I'll clean it out. The engine turned over untill I killed the battery. THEN, I realized I was not getting spark. I Think I'll try switshing wires from tractor to altenator. Dam, have to work on it tomorrow. I might have to warm up the old shovel !!! Lou.

SmilinSam
I had one of those conversions last year. An 11 HP in a 738. If I remeber right it was a very tight fit and the only changes were that you could not use the front grille support that bolted to the original 8HP, and either the hood or the side of the front grill needed a little notching out for the air filter. I can't really remember. I do remember that it was a lot of fun having all that horsepower in that little outfit, especially with the snowblower! Sam

Al
Hi, My appologies, I was wrong. We have a Homesteader in the shop right now with a 10 put in it. [We didn't put it in] The grill has been "bubbled out" to clear the spark plug, and the left side of the grill notched out to clear the muffler. It seemed to me that the same problem existed with the Broadmore grill and it has the bars. It has been a long time since I saw one with a 10 in it and the guy just ran it with no hood and grill. Said he had problems with it. Sorry I spoke without checking this out. Hope I didn't cause anyone any problems. Al

Al
Well I hooked other wire frome tractor to alternator also and I guess I compleatrd the circut. She Fired Right Up. !Runs like a BEAR. it was all worth it. OK, you guys, Your right about the hood. I guess I'll get out the die grinder and do some modifications. Boy all that power is great. It was worth it.! What a difference a new and bigger engine makes. I feel like a kid with my first souped up Chevy Rat motor. RRR. Today I was 50. My wife thinks I'am nuts. I've gone from street machines to garden tractors. Is this all part of getting old ? Just kidding, I just started late in a very interesting hobbie. And I like it. Lou.[A href='ELL']ELL[/a]