Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Hood style trivia Questions

SmilinSam
Two questions I have yet to answer on this question are: In 1975 the AC 700 sreies had the 4 round headlights on the outside of the hood. In 1977 the 700 had the two square headlights on the inside of the hood. Which way was it in 1976 ? In the early 80's the AC 900 sreies and the Simplicity 7100 series hood style had the round glass headlights, what year was the first year for the square headlights ? A third question, was the Simplicity 3300 series the series that went fron the old flat top design to the newer frame with the swing open hood? If so, what was the first year for this ? I am starting on my show line up for this years local tractor show. I almost have one of every hood type represented.

Les
Sam, you should take a look at the Simplicity section of the site. Kent has done a ton of work scanning in literature from many different model years. We should all express our thanks for his hours upon hours of diligent work. It appears that Simplicty started building the rounded hood 3300 models at about the same time Lexington SC started to build the AC 300 models. In 1975 the AC and Simplicity models both got the new hoods. Maybe a dealer can enlighten us as to what time of year Simplicity made model/design changes. Or did they make the changes at random? I see a lot of discussion where people want to know what model year their tractor is. Is it important to know the model year when looking for parts? I, personally, always give the tractor serial number when buying parts. I learned that lesson from years of working with International trucks(If you do have an Interantional, make about ten copies of the line sheet!). International made design and model changes seemingly at random. In fact, I have heard that International would have a new model, and the model preceeding it, on the assembly line at the same time! Could Simplicity have done the same? I know that they changed from Kohler to Briggs 16 HP engines quite frequently. BTW, I salute all of the parts counter guys out there! Most patient guys in the world. Also, I love Internationals and I also hate Internationals. Its' no wonder they went out of business, that company must have had a whole bunch of real independent @#*&'s working for them!

what show are you going to?