Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Aerators and dethatchers

RayS

I was looking at aerators and dethatchers today at a local tractor supply store and these items seem to be very lite weight and cheaply build, has anybody out there used these items and do they do a good job. is there anybody that builds these items besides brinly or agri fab that are heavier duty. thanks Ray

ray have you looked around the sight there are a number of these items made by simplicity for their tractors - there is also one that combines both aerator and dethatcher in one unit - it is listed under the 400 series tractors attachments - i dont know if they would fit other models or not - good luck http://www.simpletractors.com/images/400_series/400_revitalizer.jpg

Ray, I too have been looking into the aerators and de-thatchers. I've spent some time on various ag sites were these topics are discussed in depth and they all seem to indicate one thing: spike type aerators are far less reliable than the plug type. As a spike is driven into the soil, it compresses the immediate area around it. The compression makes the soil more dense thereby reducing airflow. A plug type aerator removes a small plug of soil with less compression of the surrounding area. The resulting plug is deposited on the lawn. Depending on your soil type, the plug type can be "plugged" up and become a spike type. I've been thinking about building my own spike type. I figure that 1 inch sqaure tubing shaped like a "C" could be readily fashioned from some misc. materials that I have. A four inch diameter sch 80 pvc pipe could be cross drilled and steel rods inserted. If I fill the pipe (with the rods inserted) with concrete, I get weight. Still thinking about the best way to create an axle. If you don't have a welder available, the frame could easily be fashioned from 1" diameter galvanzied pipe and some misc threaded fittings, although you would be limited to std pipe lengths unless you have a pipe threader. Also looking a different ways to lift the unit using hydraulics (depending on the length of the pipe, it could be heavy). Just my two cents... Mike Mike

I have been using an Agri-Fab 40" Tine Aerator for 2 seasons now, and it is holding up just fine, even being run flat out in top gear for an hour at a time I run it with 80lbs of scap iron for weight, and pull it with either my 6216 tractor or Wards 2 wheel walkbehind. Cover the lawn in one direction than repeat at 90 deg, and once done, the turf has a nice spring to it. One feature of this type aerator is that the tines rotate individually allowing it to turn a very tight radius without tearing up the turf, which a spiked drum will do. I am now in the process of fitting up a 12 volt screw jack and wheel assembly so I can raise it from the tractor seat I will submit photos once it is done.

I have both the agri-fab spike and spug aerators. Your write they do look cheap but for the money I don't feel that I did wrong. Like mentioned the spike aerator does just push the dirt aside but then again its nothing to attach it to the tractor while mowing "at least for me" and it keeps the ground open. The spug aerator does spug up and another thing some customers don't like seeing the dirt spugs laying in their yard untill either they water their lawn a few times or heavy rain does away with them. Also the spug cutter being a deeper cutting one will hit some tree roots and rock more then the spike one and prevent it from doing its job at times as well as the spike one. I also have the agri-fab spring de-thatcher and again for the money I don't feel I did to bad with it being on its 5 season. I do feel the Brinkley Harney brand to be somewhat better though. Regardless on all of them I had to beef up the tougue because and hitching area of them all because of the bending from the added weight that I used on them and jack-kniefing them but with some care maybe this won't be a problem "but" I don't think so. It just depends I feel on how much you use them. I made a better aerator from a 700# steel water filled roller that I had a friend add bands of steel with spikes welded to them that can be wraped around the steel drum and then tightened inplace using the bolt and nut that takes up the slack in them and holds to the drum. These I see now can be purchased thru I think the "Tractor Supply Company" I can vary how many bands that I want or need to use by adding or taking them off. Also if I don't want to roll the lawn I just don't add but enough water to sink the spikes into the soil. They all have their pro's and con's for sure and the more money does not always make the difference in my opinion but what and how much you will be using them. Best of luck >>->happyjack<-<<

I have sold two of those dethatchers lawn revitalizers to local landscapers.....they swear by them......I mounted them on both the 7016 and a 7117......the rear hitch is standard, the belt PTO drives from the center.....the belt length is really the only thing that needs "mickeying" with.....I believe the appropriate name is REVITALIZER.....