Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Air cleaner

richp

When blowing snow, has anyone ever removed their air cleaner element for more power. I know a lot of snowthrowers don't come with air cleaners and don't need them too much in the snow. You think it would be worth it? I think i'll need all the power i can get tomorrow. (I think i have some old nitrous parts kicking around from my sreet racing days.)

Hi Rich, Well I don't know what to say about that one other you will probably have to reajust the carb because of it being able to draw more air in. You might just find you will sucking more snow in then you want causeing more trouble then its worth. I know what you mean bout the walk behinds not having air cleaners but where I used to live when it was really snowing and I was using a walk behind I did get some snow sucked in while the wind was busy blowing the snow back at me and this caused the engine to miss at times. Good Luck with the snow and this is one time I can honestly say better you then me :} I have had enough of the white stuff this year and your really going for broke this time and lets just hope its not your equipment either but a poker had ha ha :) >>->happyjack<-<<

Rich, It shouldn't cause you a problem. The reason the walk blowers don't have air cleaners is that they are very prone to "ICE" up and choke out the engine. Since the engone is only used in snow and dirt is not a problem there, the best solution is no aircleaner. On units that are used for more than snowblowing, air cleaners are used. Good luck, Al

My snow thrower actually cam with a plate to block off part of the air intake. It leaves a small opening on the side nearest the engine, so it can draw in the warm air. I don't know if it affects the power, but the tractor runs fine.

We made a shield out of tin that clamps around the muffler on a 3112H and bolts to the top of the air filter.Somewhat similar to Sim's or Brigg's winter kit for those engs. which is still avail.BTW.It works great,,keeps ice/snow off and and preheats the air entering the air filt. we do not take our air filt out.Plus the shield prevents the carb from internally icing up the throttle plate while running with the wind blowing,which is common for updraft carbs. in blizzards.