Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower belt question

I know that people have answered many times about using only simplicity belts. Well, I have to agree after today. Here's the story. I have a B-112 with a 42" snowblower. Worked fine until the belt got chewed up. It was pretty worn and I've used it for a couple of years. It was on the blower assembly when I bought it. Now to the problem, I went down to my local simplicity dealer and asked for a belt for my unit. He shook his head and told me that simplicity didn't put a 42 inch unit on the B-112. He looked up the belt for a 36 inch blower, didn't have it, and did a cross reference to some other brand. I have no idea what brand it was. It looked to match up pretty well, so I took it and mounted it on my machine. It worked ok for about 10 minutes, I got into a pile of heavy snow and it started smoking and then gone. I was a bit irritated to say the least, $20 bucks gone. I went down to drag the plow out from the back yard and put it on to finish the work necessary. Once I was done, I decided to measure my blower to see if I read the numbers wrong. I didn't, it measures 42 inches from inside side wall to inside side wall. I think I'm going to have to find a new simplicity dealer! Now my questions, does anyone know what the model number of this unit might be. It has one belt that goes around 3 pullys on the snowblower. Was it actually intended to be used with a B-112 and what belt should I be looking for in a replacement? Each of the pullys has a keeper on it, is there an optimal position for these things? I have manuals for the tractor, mower deck and plow, but as luck would have it nothing on my particular blower. Thanks for any help you can provide, you've been great on all my past questions. Leo Boudreau

Leo, Just ran out to the garage and double checked the snowblower length on my B-112...its 42 inches and single belt drive. I don't have the model number of the snowblower but I did pull the belt number along with some others: snowblower belt - 106769 - $20.45 drive belt - 164080 -$51.18 generator belt - 157524 - $9.72 The numbers were quickly written down this past Fall when I got "Allis" ready for the snow. Hope it helps. Mike

I know everyone will tell me different, but I bought a Browning brand belt out of a Grainger book last year and I have put this thing thru hell and then some. I'm not talking wimpy powder, all white rain (wet snow). After blowing close to 13" of snow last night the belt looks like i put it on yesterday. Maybe i'm just lucky. I also make sure my pulleys are free of rust.

Thanks for your help, Now to find myself a new simplicity dealer. I live in Monson, MA. Anyone in the area have any leads. Thanks... meanwhile, since I work in Wallingford, CT, I'll check that area out as well.

I use Gates A series H.D. belts with no problem A-64= 66" length for 42thrower,I believe?.Cost about 12 bucks.at any NAPA store.

If you are in Wallingford CT. go to New Britian to a place called city grinding 229-1625 I think it is an 860 They always have my belts for my tractor and are always willing to take some time with you and help you find the right one.