Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Stush

FRONT PTO WOBBLE ???

Stush
Just had engine rebuild on my AC616,(30 yrs can't complain). The question that came up is the slight wobble or "slop" between the bearing and the hub in the pto clutch supposed to be there or not? There is slight play side to side and also slight play end to end. The engine rebuild person said I have a problem, but the person at the business that strictly deals in bearings and belts said the wobble should be there. Also took part to Central Tractor; they agreed with bearing person. Any for certain opinions out there?

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Very slight movement is inherrent in a single ball bearing but very much indicates a problem. We recently did some repairs on a 720 with a similar wobble. We found the ball bearing loose in it's bore. We stippled the bore & loctited the bearing into place Bill

christopher
OK,so in a new clutch there is no wobble (except for ball bearing)? With my clutch the outside bearing race will slip in the hub. Bearing and belt person suggested using machine shop shim stock if it needs to come out. What about the end play that is also there? Thanks,Stan PS bearing person first suggested your remedy for race slippage, then said there was to much movement (about ten thousands)for Loctite to hold.