Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

716H Transmission problem

I am having problems with my tranmission. The lawn mower acts like one wheel is attemting to spin faster than the other. It gives a lurching affect at low speeds. It also has no neutral position as it moves either forward or reverse and will not sit in one position. I have changed fluid and filter with no change in symptons.

I have the same problem. Mine has a neutral but it is about half way back in the reverse. When I put it in forward direction it speeds up then slows down. It throws me every where! I put new hydo fluid in and a new filter. I think its something wrong with the pump. Does anyone have any info? Thanks

dlcentral
You didn't 'bleed' the air out of the sys.most probably causing the lurching The bleeder is located behind the left rear wheel,looks like a little pipe elbow with a press relief valve on it, you just pull on it with your fingernail to relieve trapped air press.. Good luck!

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Ever since this design was new we have installed a block in the spring mechanism that is part of the hydro control linkage. Flip the seat deck up & you will see it. Place a roll pin or piece of key stock the full length of the spring and zip tie it in place. This takes the spring out of the system and prevents lurching and speed variation as the control quadrant on the trans gets crud on it. We have done this for 25 years & still install it on the new Soveriegns when we uncrate them. Bill.

Les
The neutral adjustment is very tricky to get right. You can find the adjustment procedure in the INTEREC Small Tractor Service Manual, most public libraries have a copy. Like Dave said, air in the hydro is most likely the problem, the proper oil changing procedure is in the INTEREC manual also. Low fluid level could also contribute. Fluid level should be double checked after a change. It should be checked when warm, be careful, fluid can come gushing out when you check a hot hydro. Experience tells me that the problem is most likely air in the system(due to not following the proper procedure when changing fluid), or low fluid levels, as the Sunstrand hydros just dont give much trouble.