Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb Problem.

JDSnyder

I have rebuilt my carb, soaked it, blew it out, put all new parts back in it, made sure needle & seat were corect, made sure float was good, ajusted float horizontal to carb, and she still leaks gas out the carb when sitting not running and loads up a little when running. What should I try next ?? Help. Lou.

Make sure you replaced the float needle valve with the correct one - there are usually two that come with the kit - a Viton tipped one and an aluminum one. Did you replace the seat ? Where is the gas leaking from. Regards, Tom

Hi Tom, the gas is leaking out the throut wherethe air cleanerhold down screw screws into. I'am positive I replaced it with the rubber tiped one like the one that came out of it. Lou,

I had a similal problem on my 6216 Simplicity 16hp earlier this winter.Mine has a fuel pump on front of the carb and inside there are two little springs that stop the gravity flow of gas from the tank. I noticed that when the tank was over a quarter full gas would run out of the carb and muffler and continue leaking until it would be below that level.When I tore mine down I noticed that those two springs were missing and A fuel pump kit from my dealer fixed my problem for about 10 bucks.Remember to change your oil because if it is like mine it's contaminated with gas.Hope this helps.Any questions drop me a line. Mike

Carb if the float bowl isn't cracked somewhere from having ice in it, is prob. leaking from the perculation [brass] tube that you screw up in the main hi spd jet hole.There is a small mating surface in there that is probably scored or pitted.Get an old tube,grind the threads offit and use it with a very little FINE valve grinding compound to clean up the seat inside the carb body.Clean all compound out,put the perc tube back in and that should fix the leak. Good luck with it!

Thanks for all your help, I feel pretty stipid on this one. Something I checked last, I should have checked first. The inside of ny gas tank is rusted real bad. Theres enough rust in there to hold in your hand. Proublem solved ! I feel like a dummy. Thanks for all your help anyway, now I have some ideas of what to try if this ever happens again. Lou.