Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Mower deck Adjustments

I personally don't think messing with the front will help you in raising the deck but it will throw your blade angle off. Here's a thought though-how worn are your rollers? I have found that if the outside of the rollers and also the inside where the shaft runs through them are worn I in the passed havn't been able to get the height that I wanted. I did end up replaceing my rollers but they were worn out. Check to see just how much play you have in the hole for the shaft as sometimes this can add up to a 1/2" or in some case 3/4" of loss of height. This with the rollers being worn may make up the height difference that you want. Also these decks were not know for there really high height adjustment and I have found that about 3" to be about the hightest that I can get out of mine. Hopefully other will add to this and this is just from my personal experience. Good Luck, >>->happyjack<-<<

dlcentral
Adjustments on deck frt. are mainly for adjusting the fore and aft tilt of the blades preff 1/8"-1/4" higher in the front then the back with blades facing forward in deck..For optimum cutting quality. Although adjusting the clevises in the frt of the deck will raise cutting height somewhat.With the rear rollers down all the way and the tilt set @ 1/8"-1/4",my 48 AC deck will cut close to 3" at it's height.Check to make sure your rear deck adjusters are free and not siezed/rusted up,and that the bolts go all the way to the bottom of their slots..

Even though I still have 2+ feet of snow on the ground, it's time to start thinking about putting the mower deck back on my tractor and I have a question about that. The deck I have is the 48" one. When I got the tractor last year, the deck was already on it and I couldn't seem to adjust the deck to cut the grass any higher than about 1 1/2 inches or so. I have the manual for the deck from Simplicity and it say to set the mower height by using the adjusters on either side of the deck. This didn't seem to work for me. I'm wondering if raising the height at the front of the deck is the key to setting a different height. I kinda like to have my grass mown at 2 1/2 to 3" height.