Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Sandy_Lake_Imp

Shaft on the front of the motor???

Sandy_Lake_Imp
i have a 7116 can someone tell me what the shaft is for that comes out of the front of the motor, its a briggs 16hp

It can be used for a front PTO to run a snowblower or to power a sweeper, maybe other attachments as well. The 7116 can also drive a snowblower from the center PTO/bevel gear box. There is a picture one page down for driving a sweeper. Can't get link to work. Brent

SmilinSam
I use an electric cutch on my 7114. I have a manual clutch off a 7000 series on a 912 AC but that requires modifying the engagement rod-and that is no fun. I run a 42" snowblower and a Model 370 weed cutter that I made a few minor modifacations to so it would work on these newer tractors. Both attachments work real good. Sam

dlcentral
Hey Sam,, Do you have one of those cutters with the 5 blades sticking out the front? That is a rare piece if you do!They were recalled BEFORE they got out to the public,DEFINATELY a safety [toe chopping]hazard!I heard they cut small trees up to 2" like butter! Let's see some 'action' pics of it? I myself might have a 'small' chance at getting one with a 2110 trac., as a friend who has one is moving south.How good does it work for you?

Les
At first glance, it may appear strange that Simplicity chose to take drive power off the mag side of the engine and leave the power takeoff shaft open to the front of the tractor. However, with study, this just shows the thorough, thoughtful engineering present in all Simplicity products. Leaving the PTO open to the front not only gives the tractor much more versatility by having another power drive point, but allows for more "simplicity" in mounting and drive parts(not to mention shorter, less expensive belts). Therefore you get a tractor that can do more work and do it with a higher degree of dependability due to fewer and stronger parts. Another big advantage of the transverse engine mount is that it allows the flywheel rotation to send the cooling air forward. This not only helps battery life by keeping the battery cooler(not to mention the fuel tank!), but also makes the operator more comfortable in the summer(it has the opposite effect when blowing snow). I have spoken to Case(Ingersoll) and Cub Cadet owners who actually say that their ignition keys have gotten too hot to touch. Not good! This is just another example of the superior engineering that makes these tractors so darn addictive! (I now have 7 or 8 of them, maybe 9, I think I lost count)