Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 drive

i have an old B-10 and it seem's like every time i plow snow i shear the pins connecting the wheel hub to the drive gear three times this year. could my wheel weights be the culprit? my plowing technique? please help! i'm running out of parts. i thought about buying the new one piece type where the gear and hub are all one piece. but what will break then? an axle tube? or worse? anyone with any idea's please reply, i'm stumped. thanks steve.

Steve are you replacing the pins when they break or replaceing the hub that has new pins already installed in it but if you are buying them please let me know where as Simplicity doesn't make them anymore but I would sure like to have a new one :)? Now if you are replacing the pins on your present hub that might be the problem. I have tried without success time and time to replace those darn pins and I always shear them off. If there is any and I mean any amount of play in those pins they will shear as the torque being aplied to them is not equal and the gear will cock or twist slitely under aload. Its possible that you have your tension hub bolts to tight also. I have just replaced the older style hub with the one that you mentioned with great succest. "But" in doing so you loose your tension hub. But I have found that while running chains and wheel weights that I didn't lose all that much traction. Its the summer time in wet grass on a hill or mud without the chains you will really notice a loss of traction compared to before. What I did to get back my lost traction was to put a newer style diff. that has the springs in it so that it is on par with the newer tractors. You might be able to find a good used hub like the one you have now but chances are it either has a worn gear or the pins might be fractured inside and you might just end up with the same problem. About you plowing technic's "yes" you might be to hard on it but I really think you have been having that traction hub that those pins are located in to tite. I would replace the hub with the newer style and at least it will be easier on your axle tube with one tire able to spin easier then with the tension hub. I know this sounds half backwards but like I mentioned its what I did with satisfactory results. Mind you my hub went bad after I broke my axle tube so you might feel somewhat luckey at this point and time. Please check for any play in the keyways and keys while you have it torn down and correct any that are worn or have play in them if you havn't already. Things will work out and I don't feel that you are being to hard on it "but" then again my definition of hard is really abusive in someone else's opinion if you understand what I mean. :} I hope this helps with just my personal experience with my tractors. Best of Luck, >>->happyjack<-<<

Sometimes when roll pins are shearing you can put a "second" smaller roll pin inside the original roll pin and gain some strength to resist shearing. Give it a try, you don't have anything to lose. Roy

Hi, The Gears in these hubs had 2 roll pins in each hole in them when they were new. One of the problems is that the holes get bell shaped from fwd to rev etc. This changes the stress points on the pins from a shear situation to a bending situation. Not so much that is is easy to see, but a couple of thousands of clearance means that a tight fit at the mating surfaces no longer exists. I have replaced the pins in these before, but the way I "BEAT" my tractors I quit doing it and just bought new hubs. I was using dual 6-12 AG tread tires with 100 lb lead wheel weights in each wheel. About once every 3 years I needed a hub. We used it commercially and slammed it from full fwd to full reverse all the time. Somethings gotta give. I told my guys when I come out here I wanta see and hear that running just as hard and fast as it will go. You cut the grass and I'll buy the parts. I was amazed at the abuse it took and how relatively few parts it craved. Thats why when in the seventied when we were only in golf cars, I wouldn't take a tractor line until I could get Simplicity. Nuf sed, Al