Here is the question : which is more dependable,
which will last longer? My gut says the mechanical,
but I do like the variable of the hydro. Want to use
for pulling a trailer or wagon, and or a sickle bar
type mower. I have a '72 MF12 hydro is tired, thought
next one would be a mech. for that reason. Just looking
for thoughts etc.
Thanks, marks

In our shop we see far less hydro problems than Gear problems. Operators are able to put far greater shock loads on gears by "dumping the clutch etc."

I agree with what Al said about the hydro transmissions with one clarification. Car makers often recommend automatics for trailer pulling, not because they are better but, because most people don't know how to handle a car with a trailer. Same with the hydro transmissions on the tractors. Both the hydro transmission and automatic car transmission will need work regardless of how you treat them after so many miles or hours. A standard transmission if driven correctly can last forever and if they do need work they are easier to work on. I vote standard transmission for durability and long life.

I own an HB212 with thousands of hours on it. The hydro works great. And when it comes to tractor versitility for just about anything (except pulling) -- nothing beats a hydrostatic drive. I feel most attachments work more efficently with hydro.
My nickels worth.
MS

My hydro unit is 29+ years old and works 100%.
I used to prefer gears, but now I swear by hydro for most applications. For pulling or industrial/commercial, gears may be superior. My
$.02 worth.
Paul L.