Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
michigandon

It's finished! But.......

BradW
The same thing happend to me, it you have a plastic handle that came on your battery cut it off and your problems will be gone, I had to cut the plastic handle off and I have had no problems since. Good Luck,-BradW

BradW
Hi Don, I can't wait to see some pictures of your tractor. Hum your problem sounds like what some of the car makers are trying to do to some of us older mechanics "lock us" out of the engine compartment. :) Just a little humor here. It sure will be interesting to find out what is keeping you out of your 40 some year old tractors engine compartment though. >>->happyjack<-<<

michigandon
No handle on the battery, and the hood does indeed lift up in front first then slides ahead and tilts forward.....At least its' SUPPOSED to work that way. Problem is, it slides down onto those two rails on the "dasboard", and I when I try to lift it up and clear of those, it hits the bottom of the steering wheel!

do you have the steering wheel on right

michigandon
For some odd reason I cannot get the hood open unless I take the steering wheel off! Has anyone else ever experienced this problem after putting a 700 back together? I feel pretty supid having to ask. Everything LOOKS normal, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what's wrong! Shot several pics yesterday as well. Will either upload some to my photopoint account or email 'em to Kent for the website (or both). Looks good, runs good (well, at least as good as a fourtysomething year-old tractor can be expected to run anyways). Don

ka9bxg
They sure are a pain,if you don't want to scratch the hood.I cheat and take off the steering wheel just don't tighten the steering wheel set screw.Watch for that key so you don't loose it.No more scratches in hood.On the newer 725 they made the steering shaft longer made it much gooder.Did you find a decal for the shifter I need one for my 700.Bob

michigandon
Shifter decals are available from Norm's Lawn & Garden in Bourbon, IN 46504. (219)342-4545 days. They are from sets for the B-1 Allis. He can get them , or anything else that is in the set for that matter.