Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Old SnowBlower vs New Engine

christopher
I just purchased from a club member a 42" snowblower(2 pulley) for my 3416H. As I understand it, this tractor originally drove the blower via a front PTO and down through the 2 pulleys on the shaft. About 2 years ago, I replaced the original Briggs 16hp w/a new Briggs Vanguard 16hp twin ( 1" inch crank; .250 keyway ). Now given the creative suggestions I have seen here in the past, I am wondering what options exist for me such as will the old original PTO fit ? The new electric clutches seem pricey ( more than blower ). I am aware of Herb's great posts on the hybrid hitch and corresponding modifications to drive off the center PTO. I am leary of mounting a 6" pulley directly to crank, given the blower will turn always when engine running. Any help or suggestions welcome. Thanx, Jim

ka9bxg
It should be possible to run your blower off the center PTO if the blower is setup for it. You'll need to change your center idler out to one off a 7100 or 900 series tractor that has two "ears" for changing the position of the spring loaded idler pulley. I did it to my 3416H and used it to mow with on short grass a couple weeks ago with no problems. I still have not gotten around to finding the right belt to run the blower as it is shorter than what I use on my 916H (it hasn't snowed much here lately). You'll also need to fabricate a bracket for the fixed/lower idler as they are on the same bracket on the 3416 and different brackets on the 7100/900 series tractors. See discussion messages 2810 and 2821 or keyword search for "bracket". Brent

dlcentral
I know on a 401,000 ser briggs twin it won't work,,,tried it this winter in a 3310 H Sim.bolt pattern on eng. won't allow plate to mount.You gotta convert it to old style blower pto,,see 3100 ser,.they used a fine mechanical clutch to dis-engage blower.It's something that's pretty avail. also.

SmilinSam
Thanks for the info. Would it be possible to build an adapter plate that just maps the bolt patterns of the old style mechanical clutch ?