Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

AC sickle mower(basket case)

SmilinSam
I just picked up a Early AC 46" sickle mower in tough shape. I am going to try to fix it, but pretty much everything is stuck tight. The previous owner said he replaced the drive arm that goes to the cutter bar.( it is the only thing that is free and not rusted. It is a solid steel flat between the ends. Is this the correct type? All the ones I have seen thus far have been a turnbuckle type. The worst part is going to be trying to get the pitman assembly repaired-looks kind of hopeless but I'll give it a shot. It does have pretty good rock guards, ledgers and cutter sections. If the attempt does not succed it will end up on ebay a piece at a time, parts seem to be in high demand. Sam

SmilinSam
Well, some things sell here others dont. I got $500 out of the last good sickle mower on Ebay, I barely got a nibble here when I proposed selling it- and that was without stating a price. Another thing, on used parts that are 20 years out of production and simply cannot be found , I am not going to arbitraily put a price on it when I have no idea what it is worth to anyone. The only fair thing to do (for both buyer and myself ) is to let the buyers put a price on it knowing it will be sold to the highest. Besides, I generally have 3-400 lookers on each garden tractor item I sell on Ebay and thats a pretty good crowd. To me these things are only worth what someone is willing to pay and Ebay seems to be the best place to see what is worth what when one does not know. Thanks, Sam

SmilinSam
All the drive components are there, but I need to have a better idea of what you are talking about. If you have a Simplicity or AC parts # I can look it up and see or you can try to give me a more precise description so we can both be on the same page. Keep in ming I want to get this apart and evaluate it to see if it is at all fixable before it get pieced out.. Thanks, Sam

MPH
Sam, sounds like been into this for a while, but just in case you haven't heard of it Aero Kroil, in a orange can with 2 white drips on it saved me many times on my B112.