Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AGCO918/SOVERIGN ENGINE PROBLEMS

AGCO918

wanting to know how many of you if any have had any major problems with your 18 hp kohler.not trying to repeat myself on this as posted before.i have my tractor at my simplicity dealer for the 2nd time in 2 weeks.dealer called kohler on the phone and my dealer is replacing a solinoid on the carberator and breather to see if the gas mixing with the oil is taken care of.have heard nothing but good things about the engine but have seen post on here about soverigns with new engine forsale with 250 hrs and engine being replaced at75 hrs.my agco918 has if 70 hrs on it as i mow 1/2 45 minutes 1 time a week and is always cleaned up as i have said before.just want to know how many tractors do or have had problems as my dealer is calling kohler back if problem is not fixed soon.warranity goes out april 5 and the problems are still there.and kohler seems to not want to addmit if there is a problem as i told dealer yesterday to replace engine if that is what they feel is the problem as the tractor has 155 to 160 lbs compression on test they did yesterday.not trying to waste space on here just need feedback from anyone who ownes a new soverign or agco918 who has had problems with the engine .seems like it is not a big problem from past post just want to hear from anyone with details on the problem so i can get the problem solved and so i can let kohler know that there is a problem with other engines besides mine.thank you for any feedback that anyone can give me on this as i feel there are others with the same problems just need to hear from you.thanks again. please help me as i need all i can get .agco918 chad e shafer

Chad, If really worried, ask if they'll extend your warranty and for how much. I asked my local dealer (who I think is the same as yours) if he had experienced any problems with the 18hp Kohler on the new soveriegns 2 weeks ago and he said that he had heard of problems but did not have any with anything he has sold. Also, I know you wanted a cheap sleeve hitch. I have almost completed my "home-made" sleeve hitch and should post all materials and approximate dimensions soon. Only has cost me $17 so far w/o the cable. The cable should be cheap though. Brent

I'm taking my Massey 2818 in for some warranty work this coming weekend, my warranty is up in July. The transmission has a leak and I found out from another dealer that there is a service bulletin out on this, something about improperly installed seals. I also am having carb problems. It will run fine but as you are using it, it will start to run rough like it is running to lean. You take and gradually pull the choke out over a minute or so untill it is all the way out then it runs fine. An hour later it starts to run rough again like it is running too rich, you then reverse the procedure till the choke is all the way in. Its done this off and on since last August. Seems to be worse in warm weather, because it has not been bad this winter with the blade on. I dont know what precise problems you have been having but thats my story. Sam

i have had the seal in the transmission replaced that is fine now .gas in oil in engine is the problem now.carberator was rebuilt 2 weeks ago because of gas in oil now it is doing it this week again .let me know if you have any motor problems.mine is getting old.had starter replaced and a fuel pump and valve cover assembily replaced now it is doing it again.dealer is replacing the solinoid on the carberator and a breather on the front of engine.if that doesnt fix it dealer is calling kohler agin and telling them something has to be done.agco918 chad e shafer

the seal that goes between the hydralic pump where it mounts on rearend was replacedon my 1999 agco918 last summer.problem is taken care of now gas in oil .agco918 chad e shafer

Thats what I thought. In the time I worked for the Simplicity dealer in Shelbyville, I never worked on the OHV engine. It was a great motor and Is the best, I think. The OHC has been trouble from the start. This dealer sold 2 of the 75th tractors and both have droped sleeves,plus others that people have bought. You can't beat the OHV Command. I'm going to try and buy one just to have for a conversion down the road. They'll probibly discontinue it in near future like all other good things. Then we'll have to wrench on the OHC's all the time, I guess its good for the mechanic ($$$$) but a lot of unhappy customers will go to other brands. Steve

Al, The three 75'th tractors that my home town dealers got have the OHC motors in them. Did i miss what you ment maybe. Steve

Hi, The 75 th Anniversary Tractors had Commands in them, We have a number of the TH engines out and have only had trouble with 1. I think the sleeve problems were in the earlier engines and I believe they have been addressed. The Command 25s had a major recall for head gaskets several yers ago and the problem got resolved. I am sure these will be also. Kohler has been excellent about Warranty support on all of their engines. My 2 cents worth and its free so value accordingly, Al