Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller question

michigandon

This is an opinion based on reading these old materials, annd not first-hand experience... But, that said, I think it should work fine. What are you going to use for the tiller drive (i.e. rear PTO)? With the correct tiller drive, I think tillers will fit the tractors OK up through the 3200 series -- not sure about 3300 series or later.

You will need a tiller PTO drive,a 2 pulley affair,very hard to find, for it AND more important, a 10" trans. pulley to slow ground speed down or you will go 'sailing' across the lawn like you won't believe!if you hit a rock or hard spot with the tines.That 10 in pulley also acts as a 'brake' to stop the machine from screaming across the yard!.For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action.

You bet the 101 tiller will work providing you have the drive setup that came with the tiller, as the other response indicated. From my experience though, a 10" pulley does not slow the tractor ground speed enough. You still have to ride the clutch a lot. I was going to see if a 12" pulley would work sometime, it might not fit on the tractor, but I wanted to see the next time I had the opportunity. Sam

Can't figure why everyone wants to put a bigger pulley on. My B-1 tills just fine in 1st gear with the engine reved up. Maybe could till faster at lower revs in 2nd gear with a larger pulley but I only till the garden a few hours each year. Roy