Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Mower deck question

I was following the thread down below regarding the rollers on on the various simplicity/AC decks. It made me wonder if indeed mine are just plain worn out as was suggested by HappyJack. The question is, does anyone know what the outside diameter of the roller is supposed to be. Once armed with that number, it should be easy enough to determine whether I'm looking at putting one of the bushing solutions into play or just plucking down the cash for a new set of rollers. Thanks, Leo Boudreau

Hi Leo, Good point indeed. I just checked one of my extra new ones and the shaft dia. hole is 5/8" dia. The dia. of the roller itself being new is 2-1/2"dia. Really by the time a person adds how worn the shaft hole is and the wear of the roller itself it really adds up let alone the shaft itself also being worn. I checked one of my old ones that I had replaced but kept as a spare "never can have to many" ha. Ok my old one's shaft dia. is 7/8" dia hum no wonder they didn't want to roll very well. The worn rollers dia. are down to anywhere from 1-1/4" to 1-3/4" approx. depending on where they were located on the deck. The outer ones always seem to wear more for me. I have in the past with a couple of my decks rotated the rollers to help them wear longer but that I found can get old really quick also. Lets not forget the rollers under the deck also as they if worn can let the blades hit some tree roots ect. also cause some scalping. I will let someone else do the math as I have to shut the door on this thing and hit the road. I hope this helps. >>->happyjack<-<<