Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 Hard Steering

Johns

Remote chance of this...but check it out. I have a 916H that I've had a problem with the hydraulic lift cylinder disengaging on, both raise and lower. When it would happen, I noticed I lost the steering assist as the lift cylinder was "robbing" all the power. It took me a while to figure this out. Try "jiggling" the hydro lift lever and turning the steering wheel at the same time to see if you get your power steering back. Brent

Hi, The most common problem is the 2 collars on each side of the plate that moves the steering shaft up and down to adjust the backlash in the gears. The grass and stuff gets down behind the battery and fuel tank and gets damp. This causes the things in the area to rust. On the older tractors that had the circuit breaker in that area, the terminal on the circuit breaker would get eaten away by electrolysis. One day the tractor is dead and when you check kit out the terminal to the circuit breaker is eaten away. It also causes these collars on the steering gear to rust. The tractor will get so tight you can barely turn it. Often you can help it a lot by running penetrating oil down the steering shaft and turning the wheel back and forth. The best solution is to drop out the steering geal and clean and lube everything up and take up the slack in the gears. First try this: Just clean the area out and jack up the front end and get those collars lubed, and work the steering gear back and forth. After is is free, spray some grease down there and lube it up occasionally. Good Luck, AL

I bought a used 7117H a couple years ago. Brand new Kohler Series II engine, 48" deck. This is a HEAVY-DUTY machine and does a great job of cutting (and for any other job, for that matter). The problem I'm having is that it is very hard to steer and recovery is non-existent or erratic. There seems to be excessive play around bushing in the dash and, possibly, in the "bevel???" gears at the bottom of the steering column. But, I can't get the steering wheel off! It's one of those plastic steering wheels that appears to be mounted on the column by a tapered pin at the base of the steering wheel. I've tried to punch the pin out, but there seems to be no way to support the wheel while I hammer at it with a small sledge hammer and punch, and I certainly don't want to break anything. How do I get the wheel off? I would like to replace the bushing in the dash and see if there's any kind of adjustment to be made at the bottom of the shaft. I also have a larger 7016 steering wheel that may fit...I may experiment with that. Anyway, anyone have any suggestions?