Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Timeing, RPM's and Govenor

How can I check the timeing if the fly wheel is covered by the shroud? How can I read the RPM's? The diagnostic machine I have was for auto's it reads rpm's for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder enginges. How do I set my Govener adjustment? Where it is now is where it was set befor I rebuilt the engine, it runs great and allways has since I rebuilt it but when the engine gets luged down by load, be it snow blower, lawn mower or just pushing dirt it doesn't try to increase the rpm's. I know it's not internal, I think it's just adjustment. It's a 1972 3410 MFG 755 Briggs Engine is a 10 HP model#243 431-0627-01 72122-71 ID#03446. While I'm at it I'd like to thank everyone on here who have helped me out, I have asked for help more than once and I have allways gotten some good advise or feed back. This is a great site and I would recomend it to anybody. Thanks a Million.

Timing is set by moving coil to aligne arrows when points are set at .020 gap. Thereafter timing is set by maintaning point gap of .020. We use a handheld electronic induction tach but can also use a mechanical rotary type held on the end of the crankshaft or B/S offers a nifty vibrating wire type that you set on a flat surface-only $20 or so. If you care to call me I will describe the gov adjustment to you. 724-376-2489 8-5 eastern. Bill

Hi, One of the most confusing items for many people is setting the governor linkage. This method works equally well for both Briggs and Kohler and Others. When you open the throttle with the engine dead it hould pull the carb wide open. Watch the governor arm. Move the arm back and forth, the carb will go from idle stop to full open. Next either open the throttle or hold the governor arm so the carb is wide open. With the arm held like this, loosen the bolt that clamps the governor arm to the governor shaft. With the arm still in the carb full open position, TURN THE GOVERNOR SHAFT AS FAR AS IT WILL TURN IN THE SAME DIRECTION IT ROTATES WHEN IT OPENS THE CARB. TIGHTEN THE CLAMP. Your governor linkage is now properly set. Many books say turn it colckwise or counter clockwise depending on the engine. It is so confusing to try to remembeer that stuff. Just remember it ALWAYS turns in the same direction it turns to open the carb, and it is always set with the carb wide open. This takes all the slack out and presets everything. This is what they try to tell you, they choose a hard way to remember it. This is how they taught us in Briggs factory school. Good luck, AL