Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Kohler engines

Eddie
A message posted earlier by AGCO918 showed some confusion about the Kohler engines. Here is a quick summary of the engines. This relates to horizontal shaft engines used in the AC/Simp garden tractors, all are air cooled. In 1971 Sim/AC started using Kohler K engines with the AC 300/400 series. K engines are cast iron single cylinder 10,12,14,16 hp. K241, K301, K321, K341. (Though I don't think Sim/AC ever used the 14hp) Late 70's came the K361 which was a 18hp single cylinder engine with overhead valves. In late 70's Sim/AC added the KT engines (opposed twin cylinder, also called a boxer engine because shape is flat and square). These are L-head (flat head) engines with the valves in the cylinder block. KT engines used are KT17 and KT19. There are several series of these engines. The KT engines were replaced with the Magnum (M18,M20)engines (same engine except electronic ignition and fix jet carb). I don't believe the M18 or M20 was used in a Sovereign frame, but it was used in the Sunstar/AC1900 series tractors. Kohler also makes a magnum replacement for the K engines. As far as I know Sim/AC never used the M10 thru M16 on any garden tractors. Kohler Command engines - In the Sov. frame Sim went from the KT engines into the Command (CH) engines. These are V-twin engines with overhead valves (OHV) engines. Sold as the Sovereign and 918. Kohler Triad engines - I don't know the exact timing but in the mid to late 90's Sim start putting the Triad engine in the Sovereign and 918. The Triad (TH) engine is a OHV and also a overhead cam (OHC) V-twin engine. Summary: K = single cylinder L-head (except K-361) KT = boxer twin cylinder L-head M10 thru M16 = single cyliner L-head M18 - M20 = boxer twin cylinder L-head CH18, 20, 22, 25, 26 hp = V-twin OHV (26 hp fuel inj.) TH16, 18, 20, 23 hp = V-twin OHC-OHV. This is the little bit I know, I hope it helps. Mike S. PS The new Legacy's/(Agco 2000) use the CH20, CH25, Kawaski 20hp liquid V-twin and B&S 24hp diesel.

stevejj56
Hi Mike, I used OHV for the CH and OHC for the TH. I guess it was confusing to some. Thanks for the info. I'll use CH and TH the next time I talk engines. Steve