Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SteveP

My new 2012

SteveP
This weekend I picked up a "non running" 2012 with a snow blade. 30 minutes after I got it home it's purring like a new machine. Just had to charge the battery and adjust the choke. The down fall is no deck. So everyone I'm now looking for a 42in deck. One other thing. This tractor may have had the optional Hi/lo rear end. There is a sticker on the RH side of seat fender but no shifter to be seen. How did this thing work? May have been removed, different seat? Thanks for the help in advance with the deck or the Hi/lo option. Steve

BEB
Steve, My Grandfather's B-10 (late) also came brand new with the "hi/lo" decal on the rear, but never had the implement. Perhaps the dealer took it off and installed it elsewhere, but it could have also been part of the decal kit when installed at the factory. The hi/lo item you are talking about is a lever operated assembly that takes the place of the rear drive pulley/sheave. This is about the same diameter as the original pulley, but is approx. 2" thick, with internal reduction gears when engaged. I have one that came with my B-110, but it always locked in one of the ranges, even w/ new bushings,etc. My local dealer told me that they were not very successful were removed from all trade-ins that he got. I suppose it was useful for tilling and snow blowing. If there are any brackets forming an upside down U over the existing rear pulley, then you probably had the reduction on your tractor, as this is the mounting for it. I think that it is a neat accessory, but frankly, after sinking a lot of $$ in to parts and still not having it work properly, my suggestion is to run a regular trouble-free pulley. Good luck Colin

Kent
I've also seen 2010s with the decal and no Hi/Low -- I suspect that was the way the came from the factory. Here's the Owner's Manual...[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/high-low/high-low.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/high-low/2speed_cvr.jpg'][/a]

Kent
I have come across some myself Kent also without the hi-lo but with the sticker. Also Simplcity and AC would cover up the 3 speed trans slots where the lever would come thru with a decal of a safty type and the tractor having a hydro trans. >>->happyjack<-<<

John_RI
Hi Steve, Congradulations on your new tractor! I have a 2012 and love it. Mine also has the hi/lo decal - but no hi/lo unit. I would think you should be able to turn up a deck with out too much trouble. Good luck, John(ri)