Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-212 pto, double v-belt

Chris727

Hey Guys. I just got the engine going for my purple B-212, will try to install it this weekend but I think the last piece of the puzzle on this tractor is that the center PTO and the 48" deck still have the double-v pulleys, the belt for it is still available but costs a fortune (but not as much as it cost to fill up my truck:(!), and the single belt conversion kit is NLA. On my B-210 which has been converted to single "v" belt, on the PTO they replaced the double v pulley with a single which appears to be identical to the outer pulley on the PTO, basically the lower center pto has 2 pulleys the same size (no pic at this time) does this sound right, all of my other B-Series have a double pulley on that end, which the smaller outer one is used for the sickle and the inner is used for a mower deck. Would anyone happen to know what size pulleys I really need for replacing the double "v" on both the deck and the PTO? I don't want to throw off the speed ratio. I do have center pulleys off the 42" decks but they attach differently (fit on keyed shaft whereas the 48" has a "bolt-on" pulley w/3 bolts) not sure if they are a different diameter as well. Thanks! Chris

Yes, the 42" and 48" used different size pulleys on the deck to control blade tip speed. not sure what the sizes are without going out and measuring. If this is going to be your primary mower and the pulleys are in good shape bite the bullet and get the belt^. The belt should last longer than the other set-ups. Especially important, with this setup, to remember not to have the deck running when lifted up.

The OEM belt is manufactured by Gates belt. The belt is available trough Gates suppliers such as Napa. They will just need to know the correct number. I have purchased this same double belt at around 25.00 from my local Napa dealer. I'll have to get home to get the belt number. This is one of a few belts that is directly available and that looks to me to be the same as OEM. I'm a firm believer in Simplicity OEM belts.

Hey, I guess you learn something new everyday, using the original belt sounds cheaper than finding the right pulleys, guess I'll stop by Napa. Thanks!

Chris, The diameter of the single pulley and double pulley on the 48" decks is 4 1/2". On the yellow deck the previous owner bolted a single pulley over top of the double pulley. I used it a whole season that way and never had any problems. No idea why he didn`t just remove the double pulley and mount it to the hub.

Chris, The gates website shows up as there being no replacement. They must have dicontinued making it for some reason or another for aftermarket. Isn`t the belt number 108854? http://www.gates.com/part_interchange/index.cfm?location_id=3286

One time in a pinch, I ran 2 3L45 belts on my HB212 with a 48" deck. I paid less than $4.00 for each. They lasted the remaining (2/3rds)of the summer mowing over 2 acres of grass!!! The next year I put a pair Dayco Top Cog belts (15450) and they lasted all season and into the next.

Chris I have had the luxury of having excess spindles, pulleys, and pto set-up. I changed to the single belt set-up because of the problem you incurred.

Well, I guess using what I've got has gone out the window. I also looked in some old Dayco and Western auto books and they cross the Simplicity belt to a single belt which you are required to use 2 of. When I bought the tractor it had only one small belt on it fitting in one of the grooves. Since the pulley diameter is the same on the deck when coverting to single belt, I guess the diameter should remain the same when replacing the pulley on the PTO, I guess I'd have to find a stepped puley so I'd have the sickle drive (if I ever get a sickle). I'm thinking someone used the wrong pulley on my B-210's pto, I'll try to post a pic Saturday.