Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Differential help.

tej

Entered our third tractor pull this weekend with our Stock Altered 3314V. Did good at the previous pulls but this one we just ground up our differential. This is the diff. with the springs, but it was not looked at when I built the tractor this last winter. Question is when I put in the new one is there any special set up, grease, etc. that I should be looking at.
One AC puller pulled for 6 years before blowing his diff. this spring. He said to take out the spacer washer between the axle gears. I notice my axle gears were sheared off about 2/3 rds. Removing the washer could allow for further engagement between the axle and spur gears. Is there any thoughts out there, I would appreciate any input.
Thanks, MS

Hi Mike, there is a real good fix for your diff. Your tractor has the older lighter diff. housing so go to your dealer and buy the newer heavior one and up date it to the same spec. as the newer Sovereign. "REPLACE ALL GEARS" This is something I did and even though I am not into tractors pulling I do alot of other types of pulling with mine and one day it just let loose. This is a subject I brought up a short while back about our differentials and how they can let go at anytime without any warning and they should be checked out. About leaving the washer out or spacer I can't see where it would hurt but then again I can't say for sure as I just followed the instructions that were given to me and the gears seemed to engage fully. Just make sure you replace all keys and clean out all keyways and file as needed. Also make sure your axle shaft is not damaged at the keyways period. If it is and you don't repair it now you will be tearing it down again at another pull. I would also suggest some running time to break in the gears before a heavy pull. By the way the newer diff. really looks the part of being heavy duty for sure. You will see what I mean. If anyone can add or correct this please feel free to do so and Mike best of Luck with your sport.->jackl<->happyjack<-

Jackl, thanks for the info. I sorry this is so long to respond but I have not had Internet access for about a week. Providers system was down. I will replace all of the parts, I haven't found the special woodruff (half moon) key with the "ears" on it. I have ordered all items from SIM and they keep sending the same key even though ordered with different part numbers. Thanks again.
MS