Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

problem with 5212.5 rearend

ffattcatt

I have a 5212.5 that has a knocking noise when moving forward. Has anyone seen or heard of this? Any suggestions what it might be? Any info would be appreciated.

I checked out some of the specs on this site on your tractor and it seems there are many different kinds of a 5212.5 some called a Hydro mower, and some with a hydrostatic transmission, and some with a five speed, what kind of transmission does yours have? If it is a hydrostatic I would have no clue as to what is the problem on yours but if it is the kind with the old fashioned gears then I might have a few suggestions.

Your noise is likely coming from the shifting keys jumping in/out of the gear slots. Not too expensive to fix if you drop the tranny out. We can supply the Peerless parts or do the repair for you. Ph 724-376- 2489 8-5 eastern or e mail if interested. Bill

5 means a 5 spd right. now i never fix one but theres only a fue thing that it could be. i have worked on a jd 111 5spd that did the same thing check the casting for cracks and make sure that you are using a low temp greese couse hi temp will bunch to gether and bust something. to ancere your question theres a gear or 2 commimg to gether at the same time or a missing tooth or a bent shift fork you will just have to open it up and take a look. there might be a detent ball giving you trible as well. that jd coused me a world of truble rear end wize. i would like to here what you do find out on it. best of luck nate ps find out soon dont wait till it brakes it more expencive and what gear are you in when it dose it the most?

Check the fluid in your rear end and check for cracks or leaks. Make sure you have enough fluid in your differential because I know someone who locked up there differential because of a lack of no fluid. I would use 90 weight gear lube for your rear-end. If it contiues to make a knocking sound then take her apart and see if any thing is loose or disconnected in your differential.