Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JBute

3416H pto clutch

JBute
I have a Simplicity Sovereign 3416H. When I engage the pto clutch it lets out a loud shrieking noise for just a second and then the mower starts right up. I have not had the tractor long so do not know if this is normal sound for the clutch engagement or not. Seems kind of wrong to me. My parts book shows a "clutch plate assembly" but is not detailed enough to say if the plate has a lining on it. Could the lining be worn off this plate? The sound I hear is sort of like metal to metal contact. Is there a fix for this? Jim Bute

Karl_Brandt
Hi Jim I also have a Simplicity Sovereign 3416H.My clutch also makes a loud shrieking when I engage the pto but just for few seconds and then stops.This noise has been there for a few years.[A href='http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/index.html']http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/index.html[/a]

Cal
Jim THe loud shriek is normal, the best way to engage the PTO clutch on your tractor is app. 1/2 throttle no no load on implement and quickly engage lever. What you have is a dry cone clutch the noise is from the metal inner cone bringing the outer lined portion up to speed then locking together to drive the PTO. I hope this helps you understand this reliable clutch setup. Cal

Roy
The PTO clutch on my new Sovereign makes the same horrible screech when it is engaged. I figure, rightly or wrongly, that it is belt squeal from instantly bringing the mower belt from a stop to whatever speed the PTO is turning when it is engaged. Cal is right. The screech is much less if the PTO is engaged at lower engine RPM's. On my B-1, with a belt clutch on the PTO, the PTO can be engaged slowly thus avoiding the squeal. Roy

Al
Hi, The clutch has a brake applied to it when you release it and the brake is appllied until the release pressure is off the engage lever. The screechis normal and you are easiest on the clutch if you very rapidly engage it. Just throw it in and pull it out quickly. When you pull it out the lining pads on the plate that pulls the pulley backout of the cone clutch lining have to slip until the cone is released from the plate then it brakes the mower down. The longer you take putting it in and out the more you are wearing the brake pads off. Half throttle or higher is fine. Good luck, Al

christopher
The center PTO clutch unit has (2) parts lined with clutch material, 1)the cone clutch is used when the PTO is operational and 2)the brake is used to stop the PTO quickly when shutting off. I suggest checking out the condition of both of these components along with the bearing. If the clutch linings are bad, I suggest purchasing new replacement parts, measuring the thickness of the clutch material on both parts, mark the thickness in your owners and or parts manual, and take your old parts to a clutch and brake place and have them relined. You can have them relined for a fraction of the cost of what replacement parts cost and you now have a set of spare parts for the next time.