Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Backhoes

powermax_paul

For quite some time now, I've been wanting a backhoe for my powermax tractors. After looking at many designs, and finding them either too heavy for a powermax or not sturdy enough, I decided to design and build my own. I began the design last fall on my cadd system and now I'm at the point of putting the fabricated pieces together. I hope to have it in working order for the Rhinelander picnic. I'm going to take some progress photos this weekend and hope to post them next weekend. Once I have the prototype up and running, and I'm comfortable with its performance, I will make the plans available to club members for a nominal fee. Say $75.00 or so per set. (Please realize I have countless hours time in the design and re-design and only want to recover some of that time if I even can). I'm posting this message only to see if there's sufficient interest for me to get my "as-built" drawings cleaned up and ready for circulation. If you are interested, please post a reply. Paul Kjorlie, PE Powermax_Paul

Paul, A backhoe would be a worthy addition to the tractor's functionality. Looking forward to seeing some photos of it. I'm curious though, what type of depth do you anticipate being able to work at? Will the bucket be capable of independently controlled motion or will it be pivot based relative to the arm's position? Any idea as to how much front weight you will need to add? Will the unit's position be fixed or adjustable (ie. swing motion)? Just curious... good luck with the project. Mike

It will dig about 6'deep, and the bucket pivots on the end of the dipper stik. The total pivot arc of the backhoe itself will be around 110 deg. Stabilizer arms are controlled independently. The total ripping force at the bucket should be around 2000 lbs. (depending upon pressure setting on the valve). From my calculations, the weight of the unit should be around 550-600 lbs. There are (6) control points: one for each stabilizer, one for the boom, one for the pivot, one for the dipper stik and one for the bucket. Paul

Sign me up,Paul. I'm very interested in adding a back hoe to my loader tractor. Good luck with the project - looking forward to seeing the progress pic's. Jeff

Paul, I would be interested in a set of your plans. Will they include a list of materials? Sorry to say I cannot make it to the Rinelander picnic, but will be watching for the progress photos. Good luck with this project. Ben

Ben, Yes. I would plan to list the parts, sources where I obtained them, and detailed fabrication drawings of the individual parts. I will probably not include a lot about plumbing. I'm going to use the pump for my loader and some people may want a separate pump because they don't have a loader etc.

As far as cost is concerned, I have about $2400 invested and don't anticipate having to spend any more. You really have to want to build one to do this, because the biggest investment is time. I probably have close to 100 hours invested and maybe a couple days left. I have to admit though, that I am a 'PUTZ' and it may not take someone else that long. The best price I have seen on a new hoe is a Kelley B-600 for around $3750 without pump. I wanted a hoe that would mount closer to the tractor and use the tractor seat however, like the Brantly did. I'm putting mine on a 4041 which is equivalent to a AC620. It will fit the Simplicity 4040, 4041, 9020, AC 616, 620 & 720 tractors. The rear (cat-0 lift assembly and/or mid lift shaft and cylinder behind the seat all must be removed to accomodate the mounting frame. There is room inside the frame to mount a reservoir and a pump driven by the rear pto or you can use your loader pump. I'm using the loader pump that is driven off the front pto, so I haven't designed a rear pto pump assembly. I'm taking the loader off one of my 9020's and putting it on the 4041 along with the backhoe because the 4041 does not have 3pt hitch or rear pto. That will free up both 9020's for rear attachments. Hope that helps with the last couple questions. Paul

I would certainly be interested, assuming it can also work on an AC620 without 3pth or power takeoff. Peter.

I have a 1973 9020 with a loader and backhoe I took some pictures of my backhoe and posted them to a website It my give you some ideas. The loader is a Johnson Work Horse I don't know who made the backhoe. Mike [A href='http://photos.lycos.com/s.asp?r=jd0gvtva4rah34450188mmkcvg_196022'][img src='http://photos.lycos.com/s.asp?r=jd0gvtva4rah34450188mmkcvg_196022'][/a]

Thanks, Mike! That's interesting, because your pictures are the most descriptive I've seen of a Brantly backhoe. Mike, I did design my hoe similar to the Brantly with a few simplifications for home construction. I also have an owners manual for your backhoe that another owner sent me. I would be happy to copy it and send it to you if you email me your address. You can now view the pictures of my backhoe in the DIY section of Simpletractors.com It was also interesting to see the Johnson loader. I've never seen one on a powermax tractor. I had thought that ARK and DANCO were the only manufacturers that made a loader for the powermax. Paul