Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor 727 needs half choke to run.

Was wondering if anyone had any advice. My late '60s Broadmoor 727 will run, but only with choke half on. I've checked to make sure that the linkage is adjusted properly, and I tried adjusting the fast idle mixture, but can't seem to get it to run if I shut the choke all the way off. Runs great with the choke halfway on, though. Also, what weight oil does the rear end use? I'd like to change it before I do any prolonged driving of the tractor. Thanks! Greg

Sounds like you might have an air leak somewhere. Make sure carburetor mounting bolts (2) are properly torqued and that the gasket (between engine and carb) is not damaged. Other sources of air leaks could be the around the throttle shaft. The carburetor may be a candidate for rebuilding. Re-adjust fast idle and mixture settings. Rear end - uses SAE 90W. It is normally not necessary to replace it. To check level, allow tractor to set for about 10 minutes - oil should be level with the bottom of the filler and level hole. Regards, Tom K

Tom seems to be right about the carbureator problems. It seems to be an air leak somewhere. If I were you I would check the main bolts from the carb. mounted to the engine. Torque them if necessay. All linkages should be fine, the mechanical governor should be fine to. Once it is fixed adjust your high speed and low speed needle (make sure inside the orfeses are clean). I had that problem before to and It always seemed to be running very rich. So I turned the mixture screws inward to lean her out and she still seemed to rich. Come to discover it was the same problem you had with the choke. I took the carb. apart and adjusted the float so the needle that sits on the float would shut the gas off just a tad bit sooner. I re assembled it and re adjusted the mixtures and she ran fine. But just do the simple thing first.

All of what Yeoman627 says is correct. If those don't produce results you might have a piece of dirt in the high speed jet. My Big Ten had the same symptoms. After proving there wasn't an air leak, I took the carb apart several times and soaked it and blew out the passages before the particle dislodged. After that it ran fine without choke.

This is becoming a common problem, usually due to stale gas or water. The high speed jet becomes partly clogged and requires the vacuum created by the partly closed choke to draw enough fuel to keep running. Often the idle jets will be completely clogged so that the only fuel the engine gets to run on will have to be drawn through the high speed side. A good cleaning and maybe a "kit" will often take care of it. Don't try to ream the holes with anything, use cleaner and compressed air. Todays gas has an affinity for water, and it makes for a very corrosive mix. Might be time to go back to the glass sediment bowl type filters! Also get rid of steel gas cans, they will rust inside in very short order.