Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler K321S Breakerless Ignition

I am interested in an expert opinion on the dissertation below: Basically, is it likely to be a bad part, or is it possible that the failure of some other component (voltage regulator, stator coil etc?) could cause this to happen. At $ 95 each, I can't replace this thing every hour of running. I have a tractor with a 1970/71 Kohler K321S motor. At the end of last season, the ignition system failed (no longer produced any spark). After troubleshooting the system and finding a bad trigger module, I bought and installed a replacement, using the gap etc from the service manual. The motor started OK and ran great for 45 min to 1 hour, then stopped. Traced the problem back to a lack of spark, and ultimately to another bad trigger module. Thanks, RonB

How about testing the coil?Sounds like that's the problem.Or bad ground on the module?Also check cond of trigger pins on the flywheel for tightness or hitting the module??

Normally what blows the trigger module is intermitant voltage to the trigger from a bad ignition switch. If the trigger receives 12 volts, even for a very short time it will blow. I would convert it over to battery ignition. The block should accept the points on the side of the engine. There should be a plug in the hole were the plunger goes and the holes for the screws should already be tapped. The kit number from Kohler 237750 includes everything including coil, points, condensor and all hardware. Retails for around $75. Hope this helps. You will have to change the key switch as well to get voltage to the coil in the start and run attitude.