Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SteveP

Model Number Break down?

SteveP
Is there a place on the club that explains the break down of model numbers? If there is I can't find it. What I'm looking for is what characters mean what. Fisrt digit = series? Second = year, and so on? Kent if this does not exist might be a good addition? Thanks Steve

Steve, A breakdown of models numbers would be great, if one existed, but I don’t think one does. Simplicity’s model identification can be very confusing to a new user, it was (is) to me. The best (only) way to properly identify a Simplicity tractor is by the “Product Number,” which is usually 6 digits in length starting with 99 (99xxxx), or 7 digits long starting with 169 (169xxxx). Simplicity model names and numbers mean something (but little) when trying to identify a specific type or year of tractor. For example, I own a Landlord 7012H. It is a 7000 series tractor, with a 12 hp engine, and hydrostatic drive. Hence, 7012H. The 7000 series is a large frame garden tractor. Other 7000 series tractors were called Baron or Sovereign. The differences were mainly horsepower. My 7000 series Landlord tractor is very similar to a later model Sovereign but has nothing in common with a later model Landlord. Confused yet? To determine when my tractor was made (year), the type engine (B&S / Kohler), transmission (Vickers/Sunstrand), or any other components, you would have to use the “Product Number.” My tractor product number is 1690352, which indicates it was built in 1978 with a Kohler K301S engine, and a Sunstrand transmission. The best place to start the learning process is the “History Page.” The Allis-Chalmers’ model designations seem easier (for me) to understand. Then you will be ready to start unraveling the Simplicity designations.