Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax Backhoe (Update to message #3294)

powermax_paul

Hey Guys, Kent has been so kind as to put my backhoe progress pictures in the "do-it-yourself" section of this site. Please take a look at it, and if you have any questions, please post a reply. Kent, thanks again for helping me show the guys something I'm quite proud of. Paul P.S. Dog not included.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/backhoe.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/do_it/pk_backhoe_1_small.jpg'][/a]

Paul, Your workmanship looks beautiful. I look forward to seeing the finished product. I do have two questions. 1) Why did you mount the boom cylinder outside the dipper cylinder? 2) It appears you are going to mount the bucket cylinder directly to the bucket, will that provide a full curl with full power?

1. I guess I kinda based my overall design on the Brantly. I had to overlap the cylinders to keep the boom compact. To switch these I could have achieved more force at the dipper, true, but sacrificed force at the boom. There also may have been an interference problem. 2. The total bucket rotation is 128 degrees. I purchased the bucket from Quickhoe Inc. of Utah. Based on my cadd layouts, the maximum force developed at the bucket tip (via the bucket cylinder)is 2260# at a pressure of 1500 psi. This force is diminished to about a third at full curl. I didn't feel that was too bad since you don't need as much force at full curl as you do in the digging range of the bucket rotation (least curl to about half curl). The angle of the bottom of the bucket to the centerline of the dipper at full curl is 22-1/2 degrees. I did not use the intermediate, idler link, just for simplicity in fabrication. The maximum force developed at the bucket tip due to the dipper cylinder is 1084# at 1500psi.