Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Jeffreyb

Tiller / Auger Drive Question

Kent
Jeff, I'm surprised that the idler pulley is missing from the pair that mount to the rear lift pin. At least you have the critical parts and can fabricate the rest, if needed. It sound's like the "belt tensioner" just might do the trick -- it depends on how it mounts and works. You need to be able to "force" tension on the drive belt, yet be able to adjust how much tension you apply. The tiller requires the belt to be tight or the belt will slip... The original one would apply tension by going "over-center" against the tension on a spring-loaded rod, similar to how way your center PTO engagement lever works. Looking at the picture below, you can visualize that when you pull the knob on the lever up, it forces the idler up. The scissor action on the arms that the knob is attached to allows it to go over-center, and the little spring-loaded rod keeps it in that position, and allows you to adjust the tension it places on the belt a little bit. It sounds like you may just may be getting the critical pieces to work with.... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/tiller_ops1/figure_6.jpg

Jeffreyb
I'm looking at a heavy duty 32" tiller for sale by a member, model number 990174 for use with my B-112. I'm also looking into a grain auger (speed jack). The tiller includes the 10" and 5" pulleys that mount to the rear lift pin and the 42" V belt. The speed jack includes the 3" drive pulley that mounts to the bevel gear shaft and what the seller refers to as a "belt tensioner." Is there any possibility that this belt tensioner, although from a different manufacturer, is the same thing as or adaptable for use as the idle clutch mechanism for the tiller? Aside from the 56" V-Belt and idler 2-2.5" idler pulley, would the auger provide the missing drive components to also drive the tiller? Note: This speed jack is evidently slightly more complex than the one pictured on this site. It includes a gear box alongside the flywheel. Thanks for the help - Jeff