Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign Questions

I think this was discussed some time ago but need it recycled for my purposes. Do the hydraulics on the new Sovereigns have a "float" position? If so, no problem. If not, how do you use the dozer blade if it will not follow the ground contour when pushing snow?? If there is not a float position can the system be modified to provide a float position? I'm asking since I will probably modify a B-1 or Model 700 dozer blade to fit the Sovereign. These blades do not have a spring trip and are subject to "abrupt stops" if you snag something at speed. Without a float position it seems like it will be very difficult to operate the dozer blade. Thanks, Roy

Roy, The lift rod for the blade has a spring on the back side of the bracket that lifts the blade, with a collar behind the spring. This allows the blade to lift against the spring. The more the spring is compressed when the collar is set the more spring down pressure you have. The Sovereign doesn't have a float possition in the valve body. I just ordered a new spool [from a hydraulics distributor] for the valve body in a Sun Star loader we sold. This is supposed to provide a float position for that valve body. I would have to check to see if the company could provide a spool for the valve body in the Sovereign. The Detent for float may still be problem with the valve spool in the loader. I need to get the tractor in and install it to see if it works. Will advise when we get it done. Good luck, Al

Al, Let me know how you come out. My blade does not have a spring on the lift rod. No springs, not trip mechanism, nothing. This is B-1 and Simplicity 700 stuff. Nothing fancy. I would love to know how Simplicity managed to mess up a good design like the B-1 by doing away with things like a float position and a rod to the rear hitch. Progress is nice but I don't understand why they ruin the good design features of the older models. Thanks, Roy

Roy, in 1971 Sim and AC went with a electric lift and modified all attachment connections with their own "float" system (either a spring-slide rod for front attachments or a cable for center and rear attachments) as the electric ball screw could not have a float position. When they came back with a hydraulic lift there was no need to have a float position. Its all economics and safety. But I sure like the ability to put "down" pressure on my front blade on my HB212 when I need it and "float" when I like. MS

Roy, I saw your post, see below. Q) Do the hydraulics on the new Sovereigns have a "float" position? A) No they don't. Q) If so, no problem. If not, how do you use the dozer blade if it will not follow the ground contour when pushing snow?? A) Keep your eye on the blade. Also I found that if I release the lift lever after dropping the blade it will bound back to center position and lift the blade just a little. That gives a little clearance. Q) I'm asking since I will probably modify a B-1 or Model 700 dozer blade to fit the Sovereign. A) That’s what I did. My blade came off my 64 Landlord. A new hitch was available ($380 Ouch!). Buy my dealer suggest modifying the old hitch. By raising the arm from the 45° angle to a 90° it will clear the hood. Just make sure you place enough space between the arm and the hood. Remember the blade connect to the pivoting front axel and on uneven ground can bring the hitch arm against the hood. (as I found out) See what I did below. About the lift rods. All new lift rods have springs on them, and it has the same effect as the sprung blades have. Basically it’s identical to the rod a snowblower uses, and allows the blade to jump over an obstruction. I’m sure your dealer can get one for you. It’ll be worth it. I'm looking at my calender. You must be in Alaska. Let me know if you have any questions about my snowblade. Later, Joe http://www.jbwebstudio.com/images/joesblade.jpg

Joe, Thanks for the response. You don't happen to have a P.N. for the spring lift rod do you? I would also appreciate a picture that shows how you modified the lift. arm from 45° to 90°.I was thinking of making the hitch longer and extending the lift rod a like amount. You method may be easier. What's with the black tractor?? I thought Simplicitys and A-C's were all yellow or orange. I'm in Tennessee, not Alaska. I use my blade for snow, gravel. and leveling the yard and garden. Since I work at a slow pace I may actually have it modified and ready to go by next winter for snow. Thanks, Roy

Q) You don't happen to have a P.N. for the spring lift rod do you? A) I actually used the rod from my 42” blower. I couldn’t tell you the number. Anybody out there know? >I would also appreciate a picture that shows how you modified the lift arm from 45° to 90°. I was thinking of making the hitch longer and extending the lift rod a like amount. Your method may be easier. I wish I had some “before and after” pictures. I’ll send you the pics and cc them to Kent for the edification of the club. This is what was done: 1. Modifications were only done to the hitch. Your old hitch will probably work. Even though it seems too short now. First the angled support that connects from the left to right side has to be cut off. 2. Then the Arm (That’s where the lift rod connects) has to be heated and bent up to a 90° angle from a 45° angle. 3. Check the clearance, that arm may have to be bent out away from the tractor too. (mine hit the first time) There has to be room for the lift rod. 4. Once you have let it cool and checked for clearances you can reattach a new support that had been previously cut off. 5. A coat of black paint and it looks like new. (mower decks are the only colored attachments anymore) My dealer started this project, but I had a metal fabricator do it right. (I don’t pretend know how to weld) He was blown away at how well built the Simplicity blade was. Q) What's with the black tractor?? I thought Simplicitys and A-C's were all yellow or orange. A) I bought it new last summer, it’s the 75th Anniversary model. It’s dark blue metallic with lot’s of chrome and very cool. My neighbors think I hit the lottery. >I'm in Tennessee, not Alaska. I use my blade for snow, gravel. and leveling the yard and garden. Since I work at a slow pace I may actually have it modified and ready to go by next winter for snow. We’ll my Dad’s old 46” blade set around the barn for about 20 years till it was resurrected this winter. It works like a champ. My drive is a ¼ mile long and prone to drifting. It’s amazing how much the Sovereign can push. Maybe next year we’ll resurrect the 42” snowblower. Needless to say my 4-year-old son has enjoyed this more than anything he got for Christmas. Maybe that’s why my Dad bought a Simplicity. Joe