Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gr-made

718H with cracked axle

gr-made
Hello Everyone: I tore the head off of my 718H yesterday and sure enough the reason it would not start was a blown head gasket. I should have the unit up and running tomorrow after I get a new gasket for the K361QS. I have a question to all of you. I also have a cracked axle on the tractor. My local Simplicity dealer/shop quoted me $500.00 to replace the axle on the unit, parts and labor. Does this price sound reasonable? Also does anyone know a good mechanic in West Michigan that could do the job for me cheaper? I really like the dealer but that price sounds a little too high. The job is a little more than I can do myself and I would love to find someone out there to do the job for me. So if anyone knows a good mechanic in the area please let me know. I also have a Simplicity W (walk behind) with bad bearings on the transmission housing. It is leaking oil all over the floor. I would like to get this taken care of also. Any and all comments are apprectiated. Thanks, GR-MADE

Sandy_Lake_Imp
The axle tube is app $150 (posting this from home-not sure) and the job should take app 5 to 6 hours. Misc parts would add 'bout $35, new hydro fltr & oil another $20 or less. Bill

carter
$200 in parts and 6 hours labor in a shop with a guarentee on their work sounds like about $500 to me. If they have a good reputation I think I'd go for it. Ron