Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Installing New tires

beamer

Does anyone have any suggestions on how toinstall new tires on rims. I am putting new tires on my B210 front rims. Only tires I've install have been on a bicycle rim when I was a kid. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

Here's some tips from my experience replacing the front tires on my Broadmoor: 1) Do NOT bring it to a 'high-volume' auto tire retailer/installer. My experience with one here in CT was horrendous - they trashed the rim trying to get the old tire off and almost injured themselves in the process (flying screwdrivers, etc ... ), 2) Try to find a shop that is set up to deal with these [small] tires. It helps if they have the proper tools [not screwdrivers] for removal (ie: bead breaker, etc ... ) and mounting, 3) Some hints for removing the old tire might include making incisions in the bead - if the tires are really old, it can be difficult streching the bead around the rim, 4) If the tires are 'tubless', and you have not too badly distorted the rim during the removal process - and the rim is in pretty good condition (ie: no rust) - clean it up real well (especially where the seal is). Otherwise seriously consider putting in tubes, 5) If the tires are tubless, do NOT use any type sealant around the rim - and if there was any from before (see #4 above) remove it - can be the source of slow [or not so slow] air leakage, 6) Also replace the valve stems (if tubless). Good Luck !!! Tom Kelly

Basically the same process as a bike tire only harder. Remove wheel & tire from tractor (it can be done on the tractor if you're good). Break the bead on the old tire (you may have to use a vise or put weight on the tire sidewall like with a bumper jack or by placing a board on the sidewall and driving a car over it). After the tire is loose on the rim use 2 or 3 large screwdrivers and pry the tire off. Clean the rim real good. Mount the new tire using the screwdrivers (if you smear vaseline on the tire bead it makes installing a lot easier). Some wheels have an offset and the removal and mounting is easier from one side. Some tires have had puncture sealant installed and that can be a nightmare. Check with your local tire guy or dealer. If they will mount them for about $5 that's the way to go. Here's my tire story......[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=2308&mode=short&startwith=40']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=2308&mode=short&startwith=40[/a]

When you put the back on the axils put automotive grease on the axis so they don't freeze up when you want to take them off!

You can use screw drivers,preferably ones with a round shaft, so you won't harm the tire. Lube the tire bead and bead lock area using liquid dish soap or hand cleaner. The soap will make the job alot easier and will clean up with water.

My tire guy uses Murphy's oil soap on all of his tires. With good soap, once the bead is broken as described above soaping the rim will greatly ease removal and reinstallment. Cleaning in critical to seating tubeless tires. Ron