Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PISTON TO CYLINDER CLEARANCE

TOMT

Tom, Just finished a Briggs 243431 overhaul on my Big Ten. Had to go +.010" oversize to clean up the bore. I couldn't get a definitive answer from a dealer or the B&S organization. Consensus among the local small engine guy's was to fit the piston to the bore with .005" total clearance on diameter. Got a couple of hours on it and it is running better than ever. As far as the Magnetron I can't help as I converted mine to battery ignition. Ron

I AM REBUILDING A 10 HORSEPOWER B&S CAST IRON ENGINE & WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE DESIGN CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE PISTON & THE CYLINDER. THE PISTON REMOVED INDICATED A CLEARANCE OF APPROX. .010-.012". I HAVE CHECKED SEVERAL SOURCES INCLUDING B&S CUSTOMER SERVICE & CANNOT GET AN ANSWER TO THIS ???. I KNOW I'LL GET A RESPONSE ON THIS SITE. SECONDLY,CAN ANYONE POINT ME TO THE WIRING DETAILS FOR INSTALLING THE MAGNETRON ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEM. THANKS IN ADVANCE, TOM

Hi, I had that number once, but don't remember what it was or how I got it. Briggs philosophy is bore it to exactly 010 or 020 or 030 from stock and all will be OK. Thatis how they are built new. I suspect the .005 clearance number previously is pretty near correct, as it is in the norm for this size bores. Good luck, Al

I would tend to agree with the above. In some racing two strokes we went .0025 , .005 sounds in the ball park. On the mag unit, did you repolarize the flywheel? I think on the cast iron ones you do, the aluminium you don't. Good luck, JP

.003-.004 is the right clear.That's what you get when boring out to .010,.020 or.030 past std. size dimensions as per briggs recommendations.