Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 Front PTO Bearing

BEB

Have any members had to replace the front pto clutch bearing.The bearing is 6207/40 made by nachi the local bearing supplier tells me it is as special because it has a 40mm bore.The standard bore for a 6207 is 35mm.The local simplicity dealer says this bearing is no longer available.Does any one have any suggestions.There is no way to machine out the bearing housing, not enough material .Any help would be great BEB

BEB, This concerns me greatly. I have two Simplicity 9020's and a 4041 virtually identical to your 720. I will look this over this weekend and see what I can come up with. Powermax Paul

I was unable to find any helpful info in my Simplicity 9020 parts/service manual (9020 is the same as a 720). It looks like a faily large bearing though. Maybe the bearing cavity could be sleeved along with the inner race (if necessary) to accomodate a more standard bearing. Don't give up, there's gotta be a way. Also, check with Bill Klein of Sandy Lake Imp. He might be able to help.

I looked in a bearing book today and came up with a possibility.The exiisting bearing is 72mm OD/40mm ID/17mm wide #6207/40.The new bearing is a 6008 68mm OD/40mm ID/15mm wide.I am taking it to a friend that owns a machine shop and as you pointed out I think it (the hub) can be sleeved to accecpt the new bearing.The critical part is that the bearing has to be positioned on the motor side in exactly the same place.I will keep you updated.Thanks for your help. BEB

Here is a E-Mail I recieved from Frank Heizler on 4/9/99. His address: fheizler@memlane.com. I recently had to change the bearing in the front clutch on my AC 620. The place I found the bearing was at: Yetman"s Ltd. 949Jarvis Ave. Winnipeg,Manitoba, Canada Rx2 OA1 Office 204-586-8046 Fax 204-947-1939 Toll free 1-800-665-8623 Part description, bearing #166-1022 (use no.1663355 A) Part no. 177960 This bearing cost me $54.00 Canadian of about $35.00 US Hope this helps, Frank Heizler. I too am very concerned as I am still running my old clutch bearings in both my AC 620's. I would think the 620 and 720 bearings should be the same. Let me know what you guys find out as I am sure I will have to replace mine in the near future. Floydster

BEB: Have you had any luck finding a bearing for your PTO clutch? Yetman's had them in stock when I ordered mine. Thanks Floydster for passing on the info. Have a good day Frank Heizler fraler@yahoo.com (NEW)

Hey guys thanks for the input and here is my report.I contacted 3 simplicity dealers Yetmans,Swantons plus local rep.Yetmans had 2 in stock Swanstans could order 2 week delivery local said not available .The cost!!!104.00 CDN. plus taxes & shipping by the time I get the bearing home 140.00 CDN.Iam going a had with the 6008 bearing conversion bearing costs $20.00.It appears they are available (original #1663355)now but for how long maybe good to get a spare for future.As soon as I get it completed I will have a drawing ready.Thanks again BEB

Yup, called Yetman's they have two bearings in stock, but can't ship to the U.S. Called my Simpicity dealer and he said no problem on getting the bearing, so what gives, some dealers can get the bearing, others say, no longer available. The bearing cost $62.00 and will be shipped to my door. Floydster