Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What are GULL WING BLADES?

JCS

_____/ \_____ Hey - I did the best I could do with this thing. A gull wing blade has cutting edges that drop down below the center mounting surface, looking something like the attempted pic above or if you have a good imagination - a gull with it's wings out.

Against my wife better judgement, I want to keep my old stuff instead of buying new....... She wants a lawn vacuum and the current TURBO fits a 48 inch deck but Sandy Lake Implement says I need GULL WING BLADES. What are these items? Can I put them on my current deck?

They are a type of what is often called "high-lift" blades. They have a larger area turned up at the back of the blade (i.e. more pitch) so they provide more suction at the same RPM.... For example, mulching blades are "high lift" to hold the clippings up in the air long enough to be chopped several times by the blade. The vacuums need them on a 48" deck -- on a 42" they are not quite so critical, though they would help keep it from clogging, I would imagine.

Hi, The gull wing blades are the blades that are used on the latest decks. If I remember the deck numbers it is the 1691219 and 1220 decks, the decks are a little different and these blades are made to work with them. Good luck, Al

You can certainly tell that I play with 30 year old tractors, not 30 days old ones, huh? Jeff or Al, will the gull wings blades work on the 6" deep decks like the Sovereign has?