Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tranny leak at control lever

paull

My Vickers tranny (on a 416H) just developed a leak at the point where the control arm which governs the forward and reverse speed goes into the tranny. Big fix? Little fix? Shoot the thing? Another point, this tractor went from years of warm, cuddly basement storage to a cold shed (this year). Can the cold have caused some steel contraction leading to the leak. This often happens to shut down boilers. I'm waiting for things to warm a bit to see if this is the case. In either event, I still may need to fix the leak. Whats in there? O-ring, generic oil seal? Paul L.

The housings were line bored crooked at the factory and sent out that way. Installing new o-rings is a tempoary fix but dose not last. Machine and install bushing with O-rings , housing will never leak again. More than 90% of the housings I have seen were line bored crooked. Leaky housing dose not affect performace of the pump unless you run it low on fluid. Just messy in the garage. Mark

Hope the warmer temps.'fix it' but don't bet on it.The housing that the shaft goes through wears and needs to be completely taken apart,line bored out,to oversize,and bushings installed with new o-rings inside the case.NOT an easy OR cheap fix as Vickers didn't use bushings and seals in the first place![bad design idea indeed.]Sorry for the bad news! dlc

Sandy_Lake_Imp
We have reman housings on shelf. At home now- don't remember price. e mail sandylakeimp@hotmail.com or ph western Pa 724-376-2489