Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
kuhner

Kohler Troubles

kuhner
Just picked up a AC917. The tractor is decent shape but smokes like a freight train. The engine is the two cylinder Kohler series II. Seams to have a ton of back-pressure in the crankcase that would lead me to believe bad rings. I have had good luck with single cylinder Kohlers but this is my first twin. Can the jugs be removed without splitting the case of the engine? Should I rebuild or by new? Anyone know of a good place to buy a replacement? kuhner

stevejj56
The jugs can be removed from the outside. When you get all the shielding off,there are 4 nuts holding them on. The bottom comes off to access the rod bolts. You might price a bore,pistons,and gaskets first to see if you want to spend the money on it. It's probibly too wore for a set of rings to fix. But someone might of lined the ring groves up, or broke one if its been worked on recently. If you can spend the money, you could put in a CH Kohler in it. It would make a great tractor. I personaly don't think it's worth rebuilding the KT if its in too bad of shape. Steve J.

Al
Hi, We have been putting the TH18 in these and sell a kit with EVERYTHING to do it and complete step by step instructions. I shipped a kit to a gentelman in Indiana about six months ago and he called me the morning after he received it and said he got home from work at 5:00 and went in and changed clothes and started on it and was driving the tractor around at 8:30. He said every single thing he needed down to the last screw was included and the instructions were flawless. He said if I ever needed a recommendation, he would very happy to help me. He is a plant manager, and I don't want to take up too much of his personal time, so I won't blanket give out his name. If you would be seriously interested, and had any doubts, I could arrange for you to contact him. Good luck, Al

dlcentral
I agree with Steve, The KT's were trouble from the get-go,,not worth fixing IMHO of course.You're much better off with an 18 or 20 Kohler Magnum motor.I'm not sure other than ignition switch change how much has to be changed to accept it to your machine..They have electronic ignition and more importantly pressure lube with optional spin on oil filter.I'm using 1 for trac. pulling this yr..The thing I like about it is I can see the oil press at a glance as a guage hooks up to it.Mine after working on it has 55-60 PSI.at full speed.[4200 RPM!DON'T set yours that high!]

MikeES
The 917 series II is better than the series I. Check the beather valve (right side valve box) if this gets plugged sometimes they will pump oil. Dlc, I am going to use a M20 for pulling also. I have the left the engine completely stock. How fast can I spin the engine without it coming apart? 5000? I know that this is over the factory rpm but.... any suggestions? Some places will allow open rpms. Thanks Mike S.

dlcentral
At 4200 Im holding my breath with them in the 18 that is.! The rods aren't all that beefy in them,Although in the 20 they are a LOT better.But also the old saying goes too, bigger eng//slower it can spin.That in my opinion would be the 1st thing to go.Just go with around 4000.I hope to get some dyno test readings on an 18 magnum soon.That will tell at what RPM to run at for the best results.