Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

AC 914-S Planetary Gear Cover Cap Pops off Help!

I have a 914-S (shuttle) that has a problem with the planetary gear cover cap. It is removable for adding grease to the planetary gear. My problem is that it pops off after about 20 minutes of running. I usually find it on my return trip, but I am afraid of loosing it. I think it is coming off due to the warming of the air under the cap. It seams that the cap moves outward as the machine is used until "pop". I am thinking of drilling a small hole in the cap to relieve pressure, but would rather not have such an entry path for dirt. I suppose I could also tighten it by slight bending of the lip. Any other ideas?

stevejj56
I'd say the cap is just loose. You could bend the lip or buy a new cap for it. I don't think its building air pressure. Steve J.

I also find it hard to believe it is sealed enough to be airtight. However, if the cap is warm and in the out position, it will suck back in as it cools. If it is warm and you push in on it, it will pop back out. That tells me the warming of the gears causes pressure and the eventual popping off. It usually happens after about 20 minutes of running. It is pretty consistent.