Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
carter

3212V reliability?

carter
I've come across a 3212V in the back row at a dealership. It is a bit down in the mouth but no worse than my Big Ten when I got it. I don't know anything about the variable pulley system beyond what is in the service manual. I'm looking for opinions about the reliability and repairability of these systems. Any comments? Ron

JimDk
Ron,We have used our B-210 for many years.I find the vari-drive system reliable but somewhat expensive to maintain. The belt costs $50+ and is only available from Simp.dealer. The hardened bushings that the movable half of the pulleys slide on are also quite pricy.The pivot holes in the operating linkage wear but can be repaired. If you do buy that tractor follow the vari-drive adjusting instructions in the service section carefully.Good luck, Jim

ka9bxg
I have a 3212 that my father bought new it has served us well I am now using it at my place and realy like the tractor it is starting to use some oil but that is to be expected,very hard use I have had some problems with the variable speed drive but being a machinest and mechanic I have been able to fix the problems with very little cost.As for the belt I was able to get it from our belt supplyer for free. So I feel for the little bit of adjusments that I do on it it sure is nice for cutting grass.I had a chance to get one last year for $300 but I did not want to spend that much since I have plenty of other tractors.Bob

MikeES
Just a note on the vari-drive. We use it in our pulling tractor and it never slips! It has allowed us to be competitive with a much lower hp than the other tractors. Mike S.

dlcentral
I know of someone who uses a 3112V to tow and push cars his shop around for over 15 yrs. Plus it's used as a mower,when not pushing cars around towing a heavy wagon full of grass on a very steep slope.! Try that with your Home ***** ' Box-store'stuff!

JimDk
Ron,That sounds like a great idea.I hope I did not seem too negative in my reply #1.We would not trade our old A/C for a new green or cream tractor.In the 15+ years we have owned our B-210 I have only replaced the belt twice and the bushings once.It mows grass weeekly and gets used a lot. Jim