Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire Tool

beamer

Thanks to everyone that helped me with my question on how to put a tire on a rim. I bought a "mini-tire changer" tool from Harbor Freight about $38.00. It took me litterally about 60 seconds per tire to install - not including filling with air. It didnt scratch my rims either (relief since I just painted them). The ease of this tool made it well worth the purchase, especially since I have so many things with small tires. The tool works only on 4"-12" rims. I used a small amount of Armor-All to lubricate since it is waterbased. That way it made the tires look good and didnt need cleaning when I was done. Mike

I bought one of those harbor freight tire changers too. At first I was quite pleased with it too. But it did not take long for the rubber protector to wear through. I also have trouble with the rod bending. Lastly, the one I got was cast so poorly that it slips and wobbles all over while you are trying to work with it. I think I will get the welder out one of these days and make a copy out of heavy steel, like the stand I have it currently mounted to. Personally, I thing they ought to leave all that good Chineese stuff in China. I prefer the American made tools-if you can find anyone that makes them these days. God help us if they start making garden tractors! Sam

Well, mine appears to be good enough for my level of usage. Compared to what a decent garage would charge to do the work -$15 a tire, with the only gaurantee is that they will scrape up your wheels - its already paid for itself. What do you mean IF the Chineese decide to make tractors? Beamer

The Chinese (or Taiwan or something like that)are making tractors and selling them to Northern Tools & Equipment. Check out their latest catalog. At least the attachments are American made. I know the Backhoe is a Great Bend made in Iowa. Paul