Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity, Duetz-Allis ID Help?

Cvans

Hello! I'm new here but have some experience with garden tractors. I picked up a Duetz-Allis the other day and I am having a heck of a time positively identifying it. Just in front of the seat is a foil tag that gives a model number but I can find no reference to this number anywhere on the net. It is 979 2948. The last number is kind of iffy as the tag has some damage. The tag makes reference to the Simplicity plant in Wisconsin and the name Simplicity is on the dash. It has the 4spd differential and the variable speed transmission. It looks for all the world like a 3400 series simplicity. Headlights would be mounted outside the grill, two on each side. It is Orange. I spent some time yesterday and now have it running nicely. Actually it runs great. Not a puff of smoke and starts on the first or second revolution hot or cold. I called Briggs for help identifying the engine which is 302431 0144-01 7401101. The lady there sounded real unsure about it being a 10 hp engine. So I'm not sure about the horse power either. I was told by the seller it was either 12 or 14 hp. The tractor is is real nice shape with all tires good except for one front goes flat. Any help you folks could provide in positively identifying this tractor would be greatly appreciated. I'm working on how to post a picture of it. Thanks!! Chris

I give up on posting a picture. I have tried 2 different browsers and I can't get the paper clip to show up in the reply window. What am I doing wrong? Chris

The tractor is not a Duetz-Allis. The MFG# is 990979 which is a Simplicity 3414S Baron. I believe I saw this tractor on ebay and someone put Duetz-Allis on the sides of the hood.

UCD,You are correct about E-bay. That tractor was located an easy drive from me and I figured for the price it would be worth it for parts. Turns out to be too nice to part out. If this is the correct engine, production date 01/1974, it should be 14 hp correct?? Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Cvans
UCD,You are correct about E-bay. That tractor was located an easy drive from me and I figured for the price it would be worth it for parts. Turns out to be too nice to part out. If this is the correct engine, production date 01/1974, it should be 14 hp correct?? Chris
Correct...

Production years for the Simplicity 3414S baron was 1973/74. According to Simplicitys engine manual                                ENGINE      ENGINE SERIES H.P. MFG. NO. MODEL NO. TYPE NO. 3414S  13    990979    302431      0144-01†

OK here it is. I have spent many hours trying to figure this out and for $10.00 I get all the answers I need. Great service your providing. Thanks. Are these selecto-speed transmissions reliable for serious garden work? Chris

It is a shuttle shift. 4 speeds forward four speeds in reverse. Once in gear the shuttle lever is neutral forward and reverse in what ever gear the transmission is in. With the shuttle lever in neutral you do not need to use the clutch to change gears. Some people call it a semi automatic. The next best thing to a hydrostatic

don't look like a parts tractor to me. At least they didn't paint it green before they put the deutz decal on it. welcome to the club.

Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate the help I have received here! It didn't look like parts to me either. Now I would like to find a tiller and the rest of the hitch for it. The fun never ends:D Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Cvans
The fun never ends:D Chris
That is for sure!;) Welcome aboard, you have discovered what many have, the absolute bargain that is this club.^ Looks like you bought a pretty clean tractor there, it should treat you well.

quote:
Originally posted by Cvans Are these selecto-speed transmissions reliable for serious garden work?
These shuttle trannies are good units. The weak point is a lack of maintenance on the planetary on the reverse gear cluster. The bearings wear out and the planetary group sags. This doesn't allow the reverse brake to grab correctly and reverse gets weak. If this is the case at some point then there are plenty of swaps that can be done to salvage the tractor. Nice looking tractor. Glad your aboard.