Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SimpleMan

Sovereign OHC suggestions/concerns

AGCO918
had to have the breather replaced in the front of the engine and the carberator rebuilt and the solinoid on the carberator and now the problem is fixed on the agco918.agco918

SimpleMan
I have a suggestion for those who are having trouble with their Kohler OHC engines. After having had mine at a dealer many times for (what I call a surging engine)they, along with Kohler narrowed it down to the jetting in the carburator. It seemed that in the quest to make the emmissions meet the new standards, the jetting was not setup properly for the area that I live in. After that, the engine ran fine. Also, if you use your tractor in the winter to blow snow...block off the top vent holes, and the grill. This prevents snow from injesting in through the air cleaner. Worked well for me. My question is, is there a check a person can do to see if one is getting gas in their crankcase? After all of the messages that I've read about this...I'm becoming concerned. I have noticed that my engine (with only 100 hours over 3 years)does use oil...about a quarter of a quart for every 2 tanks of gas....is this normal? My dealer says that there is a "standard" that the manufacturers go by...what is it? Thanks for any help received.