Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Next project, snow cab

steve-wis

Going to make a home made snow cab for my Allis 810GT. I made one many years ago for a gilson I had and it worked well for many years. Has anyone here built one? Any suggestions on material or construction? I made the last one from 1/4 inch chipboard and painted it, but maybe looking for something more durable? Although I am a machinist, i am not a welder, so using steel i think is out. Also, I have looked for a used factory one, but I am kind of cheap and want to save a few bucks, plus like doing things myself. All of you guys are so experienced, so let me know what you think. Steve

Bite the bullet and find one for about 200 bucks. THere is one on Milw craigslist now I think. You will have quite a bit in parts and all in all, the factory is a good design. I bought mine and can tell you that after the snow thrower it is my favorite attachment:D

Post pics if you do this. I was thinking about making a cab for my 725 since there are no factory ones. I was thinking about using 1/4" PVC tubing and Canvas or Vinyl. Wasnt sure where to get clear plastic though for windshields :) And was not to sure how I wanted to attach the material to the tubs. Was thinking rivets as I hate the thought of trying sew something lol.

There`s factory cabs for the 725. Finding one maybe another story. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/document/index.cfm?doc=TP_400_1250_00_AT_S_LO.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the one listed on Craigslist was also on ebay, and went for $483.00. I think I can do better than that making one. I have also found a couple of others a bit cheaper, but they are too hard to ship so owners don't want to mess with them, and a drive from Wisconsin to Nebraska for a cab is a bit more than I want to do too. I might just make one, and if I do, will post pics. Won't be till spring tho. Steve

Have a look at the sort of frameworks used for making tops for boats. Aluminum tubing is often used. If using plastic windows, make sure it is type that does not become brittle in cold. You might be able to use some aluminum sheeting and rivet it to the tubing.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
There`s factory cabs for the 725. Finding one maybe another story. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/document/index.cfm?doc=TP_400_1250_00_AT_S_LO.pdf
How right you are. I am picking up a 725 cab frame Thursday or Friday. The canvas was so brittle it fell apart to the touch and the windows were now opaque. So I will have to re-do that part myself but the frame is all there intact and in good shape. $25 :)

I have spent a few hours for the past couple days reading back through archive posts that someone on here made a hard cab with metal sides for a SunStar. I can't remember the members name but it had to be from about 3 or 4 years ago maybe 5. It was a nice well done cab that opened on all four sides with glass windows. Anybody remember that posting or who it was? Sure would be nice to have that article in the Tech section.

Thanks John, I found the posting. Maybe it can be put in Tech Tips. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11906[/url]

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
Thanks John, I found the posting. Maybe it can be put in Tech Tips. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11906[/url]
Kris, I just tried to move it, and couldn't, because it had been archived... :(

Well, my initial thoughts were to use square aluminum tubing, about 3/4 inch square for the framework. We work alot with plastics and plexiglass at work and our supplier can recommend plexiglass for the windows. The frame will be welded (by someone other than me, I am no welder) and the top and four sides will be bolted on. I want to be able to remove any or all of the four sides individually. I might leave the frame and top on in the summer. I just am not sure about what to make the top and sides from. Because I am not a welder I might go with wood of some kind, plywood or some kind of sheeting. Will take a nice, slow walk thru the local building supply place in the spring and see what they have. I can buy the tubing and the glass thru work fairly reasonable. Also will mount two headlights on the front to suppliment the tractor lights, and one or two flashers on the back. Not sure if the electric system of the tractor will handle all that tho. Well, lots of time to think about it anyway. That sunstar cab is a real beauty! Lots of work and good planning there, for sure. Mine probably won't look that nice, but hopefully will be functional. Will post pics when I get to the project, thanks for the ideas and imput. Steve

Well if you are like me who does not have a lot of money in my 101k and low on storeage space. I made one for my Bigten out of conduit for the frame and bought a heavy duty trap and clear plastic form Joanne Fabrics. Fired up the sewing machine, which broke, so bought a new one, which I will use again. This cab works just great even with no back on it. Cost about 30 bucks. I will post some pix later, after I practice once, since I have not tried that yet.

While reading your last reply Steve, FRP came to mind for side panel material. FRP is the textured looking fiber reinforced panel used in commerical kitchens and bathrooms. Pretty tough product, not too heavy and if you put the back side out might even hold paint, could be mounted to sq rube frame like you mentioned with self tapping sheet metal screws or small bolts going through.

quote:
Originally posted by bigten65
Here goes my practice picture of my Bigten 1965.
I am waiting for your pictures cause I am on your level :) That other cab while looks good is way out of my league lol.

Steve I don't know how I missed this but a Cab is not hard to do. If you look at mine, it's home made and the components are a miss mosh of things that are not hard to come by.

quote:
Originally posted by Ted R. Williams
Steve I don't know how I missed this but a Cab is not hard to do. If you look at mine, it's home made and the components are a miss mosh of things that are not hard to come by.
Ted, Can you post some pictures of your cab? It might help somebody get some ideas to make their own.

Mortation, I hope I can post the pictures of my low budget cab. And low storage space. the pictures pretty much show it all. Conduit for the frame, heavy duty plastic trap from a farm supply store and clear plastic from Joanne Fabrics. It comes apart for easy storage, oh yes and the cost was about $30 bucks. Oh and velcro keeps the flap attached to the frame.