Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle bar mower

almb212

I seen a sicle bar mower for sale within a reasonable drive from me.Add said works well plus one for parts,asking $500,seems high but I really do not know.Could anyone tell me a fair value,and would it be good for mowing down cat-tails along a ditch as well as milkweed/golden rod etc? Curious Al

Fair. I sold one for $440 and bought one for $200 (but paid 200 to ship it - for a total of $400). They just don't come around very often so if it is convenient, then go for it. If you part out the second one, I would be interested in the frame pulley that mounts on the side. There are lots of 'accessory' type parts that oftentimes do not come with the sickle bar sales, but are required for proper function. Check the archives to be certain. And be sure you get the proper sickle for your rig...there are significant variations.

Apreciate the comments guy's.I would also like to hear from someone as to how well this impliment works on cattails,the ditch in front of my house gets quite thick with them and they are way to tough for a weed wacker to cut. I have a b212 and a big ten,the add say's the sicle mower is for "b" series so I assumed it would work on both my tractors,is this so? AL

Yes it will work on your tractors if it is for a B model. I have cut some big stuff with mine like wild carrots and rose bushes in the fall to cut them back, I have also trimed the sides of my hedge with it.

I wish I could've had one for my 2012 when I lived out on the farm. Not much use for one here in town now. I've always been fascinated with all the different implements that go on these old tractors, but somehow never took the time or trouble to actually go out and find any of them.

I have one that i used on a ditch and it did not work well. It is heavy and it pulls you down into the ditch and you cant steer out. Looks like it would be great for a field.

Robert,your comments concern me as the ditch is the area I would want to use this implement.I would not enter the ditch but travel the top edge parallel to it.Can these mowers be tipped at a downward angle to mow in such situations? How much of an issue is weight? Al

quote:
Originally posted by almb212
Robert,your comments concern me as the ditch is the area I would want to use this implement.I would not enter the ditch but travel the top edge parallel to it.Can these mowers be tipped at a downward angle to mow in such situations? How much of an issue is weight? Al
It is rated to mow from near vertical up to 40 degrees below horizontal. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1964/more_attachments.htm[/url]

Thanks again everyone,I have convinced myself I could put this mower to good use,just spending that much coin on a mower in the middle of winter....It is at a dealer,may wait or try an offer,not sure yet AL

quote:
Originally posted by almb212
Thanks again everyone,I have convinced myself I could put this mower to good use,just spending that much coin on a mower in the middle of winter....It is at a dealer,may wait or try an offer,not sure yet AL
Actually, I'd think this may be a great time to make an offer... His winter-time snowblower-type sales are likely over, especially after Christmas, and the spring-time mowing season hasn't yet begun... likely to be a pretty slow time for sales for him, especially in this economy.