Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kicking around engine ideas for the 4040

ddavie

Hey gang! I'm discovering that the worn out ccka in my 4040 is an expensive puppy to rebuild. I'm thinking about purchasing the honda conversion kit, but that's a lot of cash as well... $1850 delivered to my door complete. Have any of you guys recently rebuilt the ccka? Is it worth saving or am I better off with the conversion kit? I plan on this being my last tractor. I like the idea of it being original, but is the conversion a better idea? Your thoughts, as always, are appreciated. Thanks!

This might be a cheeper way to go; [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/CCK-ENGINE-LONG-BLOCK-ONAN-110-3422-11-NEW-OLD-STOCK_W0QQitemZ140256751735QQihZ004QQcategoryZ82248QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262"]ebay.com/CCK-ENGINE-LONG-BLOCK-ONAN[/url]

I've heard that the guy's that have put the Honda engine in their tractors are very happy with the power they have. There are some draw backs with the conversion though. You have to notch the hood or bend it slightly to clear the valve covers, and the Honda's are not ducted correctly to remove the heat from under the hood very well so pushing it hard is a problem. I am a fan of the Onan's, and done right they have plenty of power for the tractor. I would not go to the trouble to get 16.5HP I'd rebuild it as a 19.5 HP CCKB engine if i did go through it. This would involve swapping the intake manifold, carb. and air cleaner assembly and exhaust outlet tubes. This is on top of the basic engine overhaul. You can do a sight search for more details on the CCKB engines. In a nut shell you'll most likely need valves and valve guides as well as pistons, rings, bearings, and possibly an over bore. All this is still less than the conversion and will likely last another 30+ years. I doubt you'll get that out of the Honda. I did trade for a worn out tractor with an almost new Honda conversion which I'm putting into a 9020 right now. I'll soon be able to give you a valid comparison of the 2 engines as when I finish the 9020 I'll put the new CCKB short block in my 620. This is as new as anything will ever get from that era. I can also tell you that you'll get into the tractor and likely find that the bearings in the clutch drive, the clutch belts, and the nylon bushings in the rear pto and hydro controls will all need replacing. Plus while you have the engine out now's the perfect time to tighten up that sloppy front axle so the steering is nice and tight again.;)

There are many garden tractors around that have perfectly fine Onan and Kohler engines in them for not much $$$$.Personally if I wasn't concerned about being original I'd opt for a Kohler but of course everyone has their personal likes and dislikes on engines.

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
This might be a cheeper way to go; [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/CCK-ENGINE-LONG-BLOCK-ONAN-110-3422-11-NEW-OLD-STOCK_W0QQitemZ140256751735QQihZ004QQcategoryZ82248QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262"]ebay.com/CCK-ENGINE-LONG-BLOCK-ONAN[/url]
Ok, remember that I'm a rookie here, What would I have to add to the long block to make it a running engine? Would the parts from my engine swap out if i bought this? I guess I like the simpleness of the Honda swap...but it's not worth $500 more. $200, maybe...

Everything from your engine will bolt up to this long block and you'd have basicly a new engine internally. However, you'll need to email or talk to the seller to see if he has a long block to fit your tractor. The one pictured looks like a short crankshaft out put. You'll need a longer crank to mount your pto clutch too or swap out your crankshaft.

quote:
Originally posted by MowerMechanic
chevy 350 is the only way to go
I'd be a lot more comfortable swapping a 350 in :D I'll make some calls today and weigh my options. Thanks guys!

Ok- after initial look around today, I'm still leaning toward the Honda swap, but the bigger concern now for me is the amount of money I'll have invested in this tractor. With the Honda conversion kit, I'll have $2800 in this thing. I do have a 60" deck, but it need work. I'm looking at tires and brake work as well. How much is too much in one of these? I know this, even if I end up with $3500 in it, I can't find a tractor with the same ability for anywhere near that. I guess I just answered my own question...

quote:
Originally posted by FiremanRon
Is there any way to fit the Briggs/Dhiatsu diesel like the Legacy uses? I don't know the price, but they have plenty of power.
The diesel engines are pretty large and the engine compartments are specifically made for the old style foot print of the CCK Onan's. This poses lots of problems when swapping engines of varying dimensions. Lining up the front and rear PTO's and then dealing with the heat produced, (liquid cooled), are just some of the problems. I've been working on a diesel conversion for some time now. I still have a few projects before I can get back to that project. I've shoe horned a 3 cyl. Kubota engine in it but I have a lot of other stuff to do and I've had to do many, heavy mods to get as far as I've done.

I'm happy with a 23hp B&S swap made several years ago. I posted pictures some time ago. Some machining for adaters, but fits and works well, no hear problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Update... I found an old school Simplicity Dealer in my area. The guy that owns it said he'll rebuild my Onan for me. I'll be trailering the tractor to him this weekend. If all goes well, I'll have a running 4040 in a couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...
I am putting in a new Honda engine into my AC 616 and everything is machined and thought out for you. I have had very few issues and hope to have it all in with a PTO shaft and new wiring in two days work.

Instead of a new gas engine, why not think GREEN, buy about a half mile of SO cord, and put a 5HP electric motor in it. You could be the first on your block to qualify for a tax break for having thought of the idea! Obama might even want to post your picture somewhere, maybe even use you for a poster boy of some sort. You didn't make the mistake of paying your taxes for the last few years, did you?

I like the old VW engine idea, wow they are cheap, aircooled and sooo easy to work on. I mean dang if you got the time give it a try.LOL For me I think Ill keep my CCKB and my 4041 as original as possible, this engine is simple, has more power than needed for its ability and parts really arent that much more that Deer, Cub Cadet etc. and these tractors are really mini tanks, just look at the frame then look at any and I mean ANY new " Lawn or Garden tractor " and you will want to keep your 4040 forever. And ITS MADE IN AMERICA, not China, Korea, Japan or India., with pride by REAL American men and women. This is a piece of history that deserves our respect Keep it original, take care of it, sleep with it if you like and it will never let you down, talk back to you, cheat on you or lie to you and believe me if you ever want to get rid of it you will find people standing in line more than willing to take it off your hands. Ok Ill get off my soap box now, but you all know its the TRUTH. Tim

quote:
Originally posted by JimS
Dennis, did you get your engine back?
I just got the call that the tractor is done. Turns out it was fuel pump, carb, points and condensor. He's telling me it runs fantastic now and compression is 120+. I'll pick it up this week and give you guys a full report on it.

As promised... The 4040 is back in my garage. It starts and runs great with the new points, fuel pump and carb rebuild. she still throws out a little more smoke than i care to have, so rings are in order. Not sure now if it will be ready in time for mowing season...

I just saw this and don't know if it would do the job, but price seem right, about 60 miles west of Milwaukee, WI. http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/1070922985.html